16 U.S. Code § 1891b - Fisheries Conservation and Management Fund
(a) In general
The Secretary shall establish and maintain a fund, to be known as the “Fisheries Conservation and Management Fund”, which shall consist of amounts retained and deposited into the Fund under subsection (c).
Subject to the allocation of funds described in subsection (d), amounts in the Fund shall be available to the Secretary of Commerce, without appropriation or fiscal year limitation, to disburse as described in subsection (e) for—
(1) efforts to improve fishery harvest data collection including—
(2) cooperative fishery research and analysis, in collaboration with fishery participants, academic institutions, community residents, and other interested parties;
(3) development of methods or new technologies to improve the quality, health safety, and value of fish landed;
(4) conducting analysis of fish and seafood for health benefits and risks, including levels of contaminants and, where feasible, the source of such contaminants;
(5) marketing of sustainable United States fishery products, including consumer education regarding the health or other benefits of wild fishery products harvested by vessels of the United States;
(6) improving data collection under the Marine Recreational Fishery Statistics Survey in accordance with section 401(g)(3) of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (16 U.S.C. 1881 (g)(3)); and
(c) Deposits to the Fund
(1) Quota set-asides
(2) Other funds
In addition to amounts received pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection, the Fishery Conservation and Management Fund may also receive funds from—
(d) Regional allocation
The Secretary shall, every 2 years, apportion monies from the Fund among the eight Council regions according to recommendations of the Councils, based on regional priorities identified through the Council process, except that no region shall receive less than 5 percent of the Fund in each allocation period.
Source(Pub. L. 109–479, title II, § 208,Jan. 12, 2007, 120 Stat. 3616.)
References in Text
This Act, referred to in subsecs. (b)(7) and (e), is Pub. L. 109–479, Jan. 12, 2007, 120 Stat. 3575, known as the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act of 2006. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title of 2007 Amendment note set out under section 1801 of this title and Tables.
The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, referred to in subsecs. (b)(7), (c)(1), and (e), is Pub. L. 94–265, Apr. 13, 1976, 90 Stat. 331, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1801 of this title and Tables.
Section was enacted as part of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act of 2006, and not as part of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act which comprises this chapter.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.