16 U.S. Code § -
The Secretary of the Interior, in his discretion, is authorized to construct upon a portion of the land described in section 407m of this title, or upon other land that may be donated for such purpose, which property he is authorized to accept, such offices and administration buildings as he may deem advisable, together with a suitable auditorium for the interpretation of the historical features of the national historical park. The Secretary of the Interior is also authorized to accept donations of property of national historical significance located in the city of Philadelphia which the Secretary may deem proper for administration as part of the Independence National Historical Park. Any property donated for the purposes of this section shall become a part of the park, following its establishment, upon acceptance by the United States of title to such donated property. The Secretary of the Interior is authorized to permit the American Philosophical Society, a nonprofit corporation, without cost to the United States, to construct, operate, and maintain in the park a building to be located on approximately the original site of historic Library Hall to house the library of the American Philosophical Society and any additions to said library, such permission to be granted the society pursuant to a lease, contract, or authorization without charge, on such terms and conditions as may be approved by the Secretary and accepted by the society, and for such length of time as the society shall continue to use the said building for the housing, display, and use of a library and scientific and historical collections: Provided, That the plans for the construction of the building and any additions thereto shall be approved by the Secretary of the Interior.
Source(June 28, 1948, ch. 687, § 3,62 Stat. 1062; July 10, 1952, ch. 653, § 2,66 Stat. 575.)
1952—Act July 10, 1952, inserted last sentence.
Acquisition of Land Encroached Upon by Deshler-Morris House
Pub. L. 85–702, Aug. 21, 1958, 72 Stat. 701, provided: “That, for the purpose of placing in Government ownership a small strip of land encroached upon by the Deshler-Morris House, which was donated to the United States and accepted as a part of Independence National Historical Park pursuant to section 3 of the Act of June 28, 1948 (62 Stat. 1061) [this section], the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to acquire the following land:
“Beginning at a point on the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue at the distance of 165 feet 71/2 inches southeastwardly from the southeasterly side of School House Lane, in the 22d ward of the city of Philadelphia; thence extending south 41 degrees 50 minutes 46 seconds west 44 feet to a point; thence extending north 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds west 6 feet 1 inch to a point; thence extending south 42 degrees 8 minutes 17 seconds west 106 feet 4 inches to a point of corner; thence extending south 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds east 12 feet 11/2 inches to a point of corner; thence extending north 41 degrees 50 minutes 46 seconds east 150 feet 37/8 inches to the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue; thence extending north 48 degrees 58 minutes 40 seconds west along the southwesterly side of Germantown Avenue 5 feet 6 inches to the first mentioned point and place of beginning.”