There is hereby established an Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Advisory Commission. Said Commission shall terminate on September 30, 1985.
(b) Membership; appointment; term of office; recommendation or designation of appointees
The Commission shall be composed of thirteen members, each appointed for a term of two years by the Secretary, as follows:
(1) one member who is a year-round resident of Porter County to be appointed from recommendations made by the commissioners of such county;
(2) one member who is a year-round resident of the town of Beverly Shores to be appointed from the recommendations made by the board of trustees of such town;
(3) one member who is a year-round resident of the towns of Porter, Dune Acres, Pines, Chesterton, Ogden Dunes, or the village of Tremont, such member to be appointed from recommendations made by the boards of trustees or the trustee of the affected town or township;
(4) two members who are year-round residents of the city of Michigan City to be appointed from recommendations made by such city;
(5) two members to be appointed from recommendations made by the Governor of the State of Indiana;
(6) one member to be designated by the Secretary;
(7) two members who are year-round residents of the city of Gary to be appointed from recommendations made by the mayor of such city;
(8) one member to be appointed from recommendations made by a regional planning agency established under the authority of the laws of the State of Indiana and composed of representatives of local and county governments in northwestern Indiana;
(9) one member who is a year-round resident of the city of Portage to be appointed from recommendations made by the mayor of such city; and
(10) one member who holds a reservation of use and occupancy and is a year-round resident within the lakeshore to be designated by the Secretary.
(c) Chairman; vacancies
The Secretary shall designate one member to be Chairman. Any vacancy in the Commission shall be filled in the same manner in which the original appointment was made.
(d) Compensation and expenses; vouchers
A member of the Commission shall serve without compensation as such. The Secretary is authorized to pay the expense reasonably incurred by the Commission in carrying out its responsibilities under this subchapter on vouchers signed by the Chairman.
(e) Consultation of Secretary with Commission
The Secretary or his designee shall, from time to time, consult with the Commission with respect to matters relating to the development of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and with respect to the provisions of sections
460u–5 of this title.
(f) Disposal of industrial solid wastes; identification of acceptable areas
The Advisory Commission is authorized to assist with the identification of economically and environmentally acceptable areas, outside of the boundaries of the lakeshore, for the handling and disposal of industrial solid wastes produced by the coal-fired powerplant in Porter County, Indiana, section
21, township 37 north, range 6 west.
A prior section 7 ofPub. L. 89–761was renumbered section
6 and is classified to section
460u–6 of this title.
1980—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 96–612, § 1(8), substituted “on September 30, 1985” for “ten years after the date of establishment of the national lakeshore pursuant to this subchapter”.
Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 96–612, § 1(9), substituted “thirteen members” for “eleven members” in provisions preceding cl. (1) and “two members who are year-round residents” for “one member who is a year-round resident” in cls. (4) and (7).
1976—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 94–549, § 1(5), substituted “eleven members” for “seven members” in provision preceding cl. (1), struck out “Portage” after “Dunes Acres” in cl. (3), and added cls. (7) to (10).
The table below lists the classification updates, since Jan. 3, 2012, for this section. Updates to a broader range of sections may be found at the update page for containing chapter, title, etc.
The most recent Classification Table update that we have noticed was Tuesday, August 13, 2013
An empty table indicates that we see no relevant changes listed in the classification tables. If you suspect that our system may be missing something, please double-check with the Office of the Law Revision Counsel.
Description of Change
Statutes at Large
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.