16 U.S. Code § 460u–7 - Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Advisory Commission
(a) Establishment; termination
There is hereby established an Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Advisory Commission. Said Commission shall terminate on September 30, 1985.
(b) Membership; appointment; term of office; recommendation or designation of appointees
The Commission shall be composed of thirteen members, each appointed for a term of two years by the Secretary, as follows:
(1) one member who is a year-round resident of Porter County to be appointed from recommendations made by the commissioners of such county;
(2) one member who is a year-round resident of the town of Beverly Shores to be appointed from the recommendations made by the board of trustees of such town;
(3) one member who is a year-round resident of the towns of Porter, Dune Acres, Pines, Chesterton, Ogden Dunes, or the village of Tremont, such member to be appointed from recommendations made by the boards of trustees or the trustee of the affected town or township;
(4) two members who are year-round residents of the city of Michigan City to be appointed from recommendations made by such city;
(7) two members who are year-round residents of the city of Gary to be appointed from recommendations made by the mayor of such city;
(8) one member to be appointed from recommendations made by a regional planning agency established under the authority of the laws of the State of Indiana and composed of representatives of local and county governments in northwestern Indiana;
(9) one member who is a year-round resident of the city of Portage to be appointed from recommendations made by the mayor of such city; and
(10) one member who holds a reservation of use and occupancy and is a year-round resident within the lakeshore to be designated by the Secretary.
(c) Chairman; vacancies
The Secretary shall designate one member to be Chairman. Any vacancy in the Commission shall be filled in the same manner in which the original appointment was made.
(d) Compensation and expenses; vouchers
A member of the Commission shall serve without compensation as such. The Secretary is authorized to pay the expense reasonably incurred by the Commission in carrying out its responsibilities under this subchapter on vouchers signed by the Chairman.
(e) Consultation of Secretary with Commission
(f) Disposal of industrial solid wastes; identification of acceptable areas
The Advisory Commission is authorized to assist with the identification of economically and environmentally acceptable areas, outside of the boundaries of the lakeshore, for the handling and disposal of industrial solid wastes produced by the coal-fired powerplant in Porter County, Indiana, section 21, township 37 north, range 6 west.
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Pub. L. 89–761, § 7, formerly § 8,Nov. 5, 1966, 80 Stat. 1311; renumbered § 7 and amended Pub. L. 94–549, § 1(5), (6), (9),Oct. 18, 1976, 90 Stat. 2530, 2533; Pub. L. 96–612, § 1(8), (9),Dec. 28, 1980, 94 Stat. 3576.)
References in Text
Section 460u–4 of this title, referred to in subsec. (e), was repealed by Pub. L. 94–549, § 1(9),Oct. 18, 1976, 90 Stat. 2533.
A prior section 7 ofPub. L. 89–761was renumbered section 6 and is classified to section 460u–6 of this title.
1980—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 96–612, § 1(8), substituted “on September 30, 1985” for “ten years after the date of establishment of the national lakeshore pursuant to this subchapter”.
Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 96–612, § 1(9), substituted “thirteen members” for “eleven members” in provisions preceding cl. (1) and “two members who are year-round residents” for “one member who is a year-round resident” in cls. (4) and (7).
1976—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 94–549, § 1(5), substituted “eleven members” for “seven members” in provision preceding cl. (1), struck out “Portage” after “Dunes Acres” in cl. (3), and added cls. (7) to (10).
Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 94–549, § 1(6), added subsec. (f).