16 U.S. Code § 582a–6 - Scope of forestry research
The term “forestry research” as used in this subchapter shall include investigations relating to:
(1) Reforestation and management of land for the production of crops of timber and other related products of the forest;
(2) management of forest and related watershed lands to improve conditions of waterflow and to protect resources against floods and erosion;
(3) management of forest and related rangeland for production of forage for domestic livestock and game and improvement of food and habitat for wildlife;
(5) protection of forest land and resources against fire, insects, diseases, or other destructive agents;
(7) development of sound policies for the management of forest lands and the harvesting and marketing of forest products; and
(8) such other studies as may be necessary to obtain the fullest and most effective use of forest resources.