Before any sustained-yield unit authorized by section
583b of this title shall be established, and before any cooperative agreement authorized by section
583c of this title shall be entered into, advance notice thereof shall be given by registered mail or by certified mail to each landowner whose land is proposed to be included and by publication in one or more newspapers of general circulation in the vicinity of the place where the timber is located, and the costs incident to such publication may be paid out of any funds available for the protection or management of the federally owned or administered forest land involved. This notice shall state:
(1) the location of the proposed unit;
(2) the name of each proposed cooperator;
(3) the duration of the proposed cooperative agreement or agreements;
(4) the location and estimated quantity of timber on the land of each proposed cooperator and on the Federal land involved;
(5) the expected rate of cutting of such timber; and
(6) the time and place of a public hearing to be held not less than thirty days after the first publication of said notice for the presentation of the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed action to the community or communities affected.
Before any sale agreement made without competition and involving more than $500 in stumpage value of federally owned or administered timber shall be entered into under this subchapter, advance notice thereof shall be given by publication once weekly for four consecutive weeks in one or more newspapers of general circulation in the vicinity of the place where the timber is located, and the costs incident to such publication may be paid out of any funds available for the protection or management of federally owned or administered forest land within the unit concerned. This notice shall state:
(1) the quantity and appraised value of the timber;
(2) the time and place of a public hearing to be held not less than thirty days after the first publication of said notice if requested by the State or county where the timber is located or by any other person deemed to have a reasonable interest in the proposed sale or in its terms; and
(3) the place where any request for a public hearing shall be made. Such requests need be considered only if received at the place designated in the notice not later than fifteen days after the first publication of such notice. If a request for a hearing is received within the time designated, notice of the holding of the hearing shall be given not less than ten days before the time set for such hearing, in the same manner as provided for the original notice.
The determination made by the Secretary having jurisdiction upon the proposals considered at any such hearing, which determination may include the modification of the terms of such proposals, together with the minutes or other record of the hearing, shall be available for public inspection during the life of any coordinated plan of management or agreement entered into in consequence of such determination.
1960—Pub. L. 86–507inserted “or by certified mail” after “registered mail”.
The table below lists the classification updates, since Jan. 3, 2012, for this section. Updates to a broader range of sections may be found at the update page for containing chapter, title, etc.
The most recent Classification Table update that we have noticed was Tuesday, August 13, 2013
An empty table indicates that we see no relevant changes listed in the classification tables. If you suspect that our system may be missing something, please double-check with the Office of the Law Revision Counsel.
Description of Change
Statutes at Large
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.