2 U.S. Code § 1104 - Purposes and authority of Center
(a) Purposes of Center
The purposes of the Center shall be—
(1) to increase awareness of the importance of public service, to foster among the youth of the United States greater recognition and understanding of the role of public service in the development of the United States, and to promote public service as a career choice;
(2) to provide training and development opportunities for State and local elected government officials and employees of State and local governments in order to assist such officials and employees to become more effective and more efficient in performing their public duties and develop their potential for accepting increased public service opportunities; and
(b) Authority of Center
The Center is authorized, consistent with this chapter, to develop such programs, activities, and services as it considers appropriate to carry out the purpose of this chapter. Such authority shall include the following:
(1) The development and implementation of educational programs for secondary and post-secondary schools and colleges designed—
(C) to create a better understanding of the important role that people in public service have played in the growth and development of the United States; and
(2) The development and implementation of programs designed—
(A) to enhance skills and abilities of public service employees and elected officials at the State and local levels of government;
(3) The development and implementation of congressional staff training programs designed to equip congressional staff personnel to perform their duties more effectively and efficiently.
(4) The development and implementation of media and telecommunications production capabilities to assist the Center in expanding the reach of its programs throughout the United States.