20 U.S. Code § 3463 - Personnel reduction and annual limitations
prev | next
(a) Work-years limitation; allocations; adjustments
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, there shall be included in each appropriation Act containing appropriations for the administration of the Department for any fiscal year beginning after September 30, 1981 (other than an appropriation Act containing only supplemental appropriations for the Department), an annual limitation on the total number of work-years for the personnel of the Department.
(2) The Secretary shall prescribe the allocation of the work-years available under paragraph (1) among the organizational units and components of the Department.
(3) If the President transmits any reorganization plan under chapter 9 of title 5 which would result in the transfer of functions or offices to the Secretary or the Department, the message transmitting the plan shall include any adjustments which may be necessary in a work-year limitation established under paragraph (1) to reflect changes in the work-years required as a result of such plan.
(b) Full-time equivalent personnel reductions
Not later than the end of the first fiscal year beginning after May 4, 1980, the number of full-time equivalent personnel positions available for performing functions transferred to the Secretary or the Department by this chapter shall be reduced by 500.
(c) Personnel computations
(1) Computations required to be made for purposes of this section shall be made on the basis of all personnel employed by the Department, including experts and consultants employed under section 3109 of title 5 and all other part-time and full-time personnel employed to perform functions of the Secretary or the Department, except personnel employed under special programs for students and disadvantaged youth (including temporary summer employment).
(d) Report on effects of reorganization on employees
The Director of the Office of Personnel Management shall, as soon as practicable, but not later than one year after May 4, 1980, prepare and transmit to the Congress a report on the effects on employees of the reorganization under this chapter, which shall include—
(1) an identification of any position within the Department or elsewhere in the executive branch, which it considers unnecessary due to consolidation of functions under this chapter;
(2) a statement of the number of employees entitled to pay savings by reason of the organization under this chapter;
(3) a statement of the number of employees who are voluntarily or involuntarily separated by reason of such reorganization;
Source(Pub. L. 96–88, title IV, § 403,Oct. 17, 1979, 93 Stat. 682; Pub. L. 104–66, title I, § 1041(a),Dec. 21, 1995, 109 Stat. 714.)
In subsecs. (a) and (d), “May 4, 1980” substituted for “the effective date of this chapter” pursuant to section 601 ofPub. L. 96–88, set out as an Effective Date note under section 3401 of this title.
1995—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 104–66struck out before period at end “and shall, within 120 days after the enactment of an appropriation Act containing a work-year limitation, prepare and transmit to the Congress a report on such allocation. Such report shall include explanations and justifications for the allocations made by the Secretary and shall indicate the necessary personnel actions which will be required as a consequence of such allocation. Not later than 120 days after the conclusion of any fiscal year to which a work-year limitation established under paragraph (1) applies, the Secretary shall prepare and transmit to the Congress a report on compliance with such limitation indicating the total work-years actually expended by the Department and by the organizational units and components to which such work-years were allocated”.