20 U.S. Code § 5502 - Definitions
For the purposes of this chapter, the term—
(3) “Federal agency” or “agency of the United States” means any department, agency or other instrumentality of the Federal Government, any independent agency or establishment of the Federal Government including any Government corporation;
(5) “local educational agency” means any education agency as defined in section 7801 of this title and shall include any tribal education agency;
(6) “not-for-profit” organization  means an organization, association, or institution described in section 501 (c)(3) of title 26, which is exempt from taxation pursuant to the provisions of section 501 (a) of title 26;
(7) “noncommercial education broadcasting entities” means any noncommercial educational broadcasting station (and/or its legal nonprofit affiliates) as defined and licensed by the Federal Communications Commission;
(8) “tribal education agency” means a school or community college which is controlled by an Indian tribe, band, or nation, including any Alaska Native village, which is recognized as eligible for special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians and which is not administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs;
(9) “Federal natural resource management agencies” means the United States Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service, and the Fish and Wildlife Service;
(10) “environmental engineering” means the discipline within engineering and science concerned with the development and application of scientific and technical solutions to protecting the aquatic and atmospheric environment, including, but not limited to, all phases of water resources planning, water supply, water treatment, air pollution characterization and control, remediation of hazardous substances, environmental transport of contaminants in surface and ground water and atmosphere, and methods for assessment and control of pollution;
(11) “environmental education” and “environmental education and training” mean educational activities and training activities involving elementary, secondary, and postsecondary students, as such terms are defined in the State in which they reside, and environmental education personnel, but does not include technical training activities directed toward environmental management professionals or activities primarily directed toward the support of noneducational research and development;
(12) “Foundation” means the National Environmental Education and Training Foundation established pursuant to section 5509 of this title; and
(13) “Board of Directors” means the Board of Directors of the National Environmental Education and Training Foundation.
 So in original. Probably should be “ ‘not-for-profit organization’ ”.
Source(Pub. L. 101–619, § 3,Nov. 16, 1990, 104 Stat. 3326; Pub. L. 103–382, title III, § 391(m),Oct. 20, 1994, 108 Stat. 4023; Pub. L. 107–110, title X, § 1076(n),Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 2092.)
2002—Par. (5). Pub. L. 107–110substituted “7801” for “8801”.
1994—Par. (5). Pub. L. 103–382substituted “local educational agency” for “local education agency” and reference to section 8801 of this title for reference to section 198 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
Effective Date of 2002 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.