All collections of rocks, minerals, soils, fossils, and objects of natural history, archaeology, and ethnology, made by the National Ocean Survey, the United States Geological Survey, or by any other parties for the Government of the United States, when no longer needed for investigations in progress shall be deposited in the National Museum.
Words “Coast and Interior Survey” appearing in act Mar. 3, 1879, were in prior editions of the Code changed to “Coast and Geodetic Survey.” Congress never created a Coast and Interior Survey. In a communication dated Nov. 6, 1940, the Director of the Geological Survey explained that the words “Coast and Interior Survey” were inadvertently incorporated upon authority of report contained in Senate Misc. Doc. No. 9, 45th Congress, 3d Session, which recommended the “Coast and Geodetic Survey” be changed to “United States Coast and Interior Survey” and an organization be created in the Interior Department to be known as the “United States Geological Survey.” Congress adopted only the latter suggestion.
Coast and Geodetic Survey consolidated with National Weather Bureau in 1965 to form Environmental Science Services Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 2 of 1965, eff. July 13, 1965, 30 F.R. 8819, 79 Stat. 1318. Environmental Science Services Administration abolished in 1970 and its personnel, property, records, etc., transferred to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 4 of 1970, eff. Oct. 3, 1970, 35 F.R. 15627, 84 Stat. 2090. By order of Acting Associate Administrator of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 35 F.R. 19249, Dec. 19, 1970, Coast and Geodetic Survey redesignated National Ocean Survey. See notes set out under section
311 of Title
15, Commerce and Trade.
Change of Name
“United States Geological Survey” substituted in text for “Geological Survey” pursuant to provision of title I of Pub. L. 102–154, set out as a note under section
31 of Title
43, Public Lands.
Establishment of the National Museum, see note set out under section
50 of this title.
National Museum of American History
Pub. L. 96–441, § 2,Oct. 13, 1980, 94 Stat. 1884, provided that: “The bureau of the Smithsonian Institution known as the Museum of History and Technology and so referred to in the Act entitled ‘An Act to authorize the construction of a building for a Museum of History and Technology for the Smithsonian Institution, including the preparation of plans and specifications, and all other work incidental thereto’, approved June 28, 1955 (20 U.S.C. 59 note), shall be known as the ‘National Museum of American History’.”
For provision deeming references to the Museum of History and Technology in laws and regulations to be references to the National Museum of American History, see section of 3 of Pub. L. 96–441, set out as a note under section
71 of this title.
Museum of History and Technology for the Smithsonian Institution
Act June 28, 1955, ch. 201, 69 Stat. 189, authorized construction of a building for a Museum of History and Technology, which was redesignated the National Museum of American History, for the use of the Smithsonian Institution, at a cost not to exceed $36,000,000.
The table below lists the classification updates, since Jan. 3, 2012, for this section. Updates to a broader range of sections may be found at the update page for containing chapter, title, etc.
The most recent Classification Table update that we have noticed was Tuesday, August 13, 2013
An empty table indicates that we see no relevant changes listed in the classification tables. If you suspect that our system may be missing something, please double-check with the Office of the Law Revision Counsel.