20 U.S. Code § 7265b - Program authorization
(a) Grants and contracts
In order to carry out programs that fulfill the purposes of this subpart, the Secretary is authorized to make grants to, or enter into contracts with, the following:
(8) Cultural and educational organizations with experience in developing or operating programs that illustrate and interpret the contributions of Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, the whaling industry, and the China trade to the economic, social, and environmental history of the United States.
(b) Uses of funds
Activities provided through programs carried out under this subpart may include one or more of the following:
(1) Development and implementation of educational programs to increase understanding of cultural diversity and multicultural communication among Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and the people of the continental United States, based on historic patterns of trading and commerce.
(2) Development and implementation of programs using modern technology, including the Internet, to educate students, their parents, and teachers about historic and contemporary cultural and trading ties that continue to link the diverse cultures of Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and the people of Massachusetts.
(3) Cultural exchanges of elders, students, parents, and teachers among Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and the people of Massachusetts to increase awareness of diverse cultures among each group.
(4) Sharing of collections among cultural institutions designed to increase awareness of diverse cultures and links among them.
(5) Development and implementation of internship and apprentice programs in cultural institutions to train Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and low-income students in Massachusetts for careers with cultural institutions.
(6) Other activities, consistent with the purposes of this subpart, to meet the educational needs of Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, and students and their parents in Massachusetts.
Source(Pub. L. 89–10, title V, § 5523, as added Pub. L. 107–110, title V, § 501,Jan. 8, 2002, 115 Stat. 1846; amended Pub. L. 109–149, title III, § 306(2),Dec. 30, 2005, 119 Stat. 2870.)
2005—Subsec. (a)(6) to (9). Pub. L. 109–149, § 306(2)(A), added par. (6) and redesignated former pars. (6) to (8) as (7) to (9), respectively.
Subsec. (b)(7). Pub. L. 109–149, § 306(2)(B), added par. (7).
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.