(Pub. L. 108–199, div. B, title VI, § 637,Jan. 23, 2004, 118 Stat. 101.)
References in Text
The Federal Advisory Committee Act, referred to in subsec. (g), is Pub. L. 92–463
, Oct. 6, 1972, 86 Stat. 770
, as amended, which is set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees.
The Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, referred to in subsec. (h)(1), is Pub. L. 87–195
, Sept. 4, 1961, 75 Stat. 424
, as amended. Chapters 1, 10, 11, and 12 of part I of the Act are classified generally to parts I (§ 2151 et seq.), X (§ 2293 et seq.), XI (§ 2295 et seq.), and XII (§ 2296 et seq.) of subchapter I of this chapter. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section
of this title and Tables.
Section was enacted as the HELP Commission Act, and also as part of the Departments of Commerce, Justice, and State, the Judiciary, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2004, and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2004, and not as part of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 which comprises this chapter.
Change of Name
Committee on International Relations of House of Representatives changed to Committee on Foreign Affairs of House of Representatives by House Resolution No. 6, One Hundred Tenth Congress, Jan. 5, 2007.
Assignment of Functions Implementing the HELP Commission Act
Memorandum of President of the United States, Dec. 8, 2004, 69
Memorandum for the Secretary of State [and] the Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States, including section
, United States Code:
1. The functions of the President under subsection 637(k) of the [Departments of] Commerce, Justice[,] and State, the Judiciary, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2004 (Division B, Public Law 108–199) (22
) (the “Act”) are assigned to the Secretary of State (Secretary).
2. The Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development shall provide support to assist the Secretary in the performance of functions assigned by this memorandum, and the heads of executive departments and agencies with information concerning assistance programs shall furnish promptly to the Secretary, consistent with applicable law, such information as the Secretary may request to assist in fulfillment of these responsibilities for the preparation of the report to which subsection 637(k) refers.
3. The Secretary shall coordinate the receipt by departments and agencies of requests from the HELP Commission under section 637(e) of the Act for information and their responses to such requests. Such departments and agencies shall provide relevant information and responses promptly. The Secretary shall ensure that such responses occur in a manner consistent with the President’s constitutional authority to withhold information that could impair foreign relations, national security, the deliberate processes of the Executive, or the performance of the Executive’s constitutional duties.
4. Heads of executive departments and agencies shall assist the Secretary in the implementation of this memorandum.
5. The Secretary is authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.
George W. Bush.