22 U.S. Code § 2431 - Findings and purposes
prev | next
The Congress finds the following:
(1) It is the established policy of the United States to support and seek protection of tropical forests around the world.
(2) Tropical forests provide a wide range of benefits to humankind by—
(A) harboring a major share of the Earth’s biological and terrestrial resources, which are the basis for developing pharmaceutical products and revitalizing agricultural crops;
(B) playing a critical role as carbon sinks in reducing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, thus moderating potential global climate change; and
(3) International negotiations and assistance programs to conserve forest resources have proliferated over the past decade, but the rapid rate of tropical deforestation continues unabated.
(4) Developing countries with urgent needs for investment and capital for development have allocated a significant amount of their forests to logging concessions.
(5) Poverty and economic pressures on the populations of developing countries have, over time, resulted in clearing of vast areas of forest for conversion to agriculture, which is often unsustainable in the poor soils underlying tropical forests.
(6) Debt reduction can reduce economic pressures on developing countries and result in increased protection for tropical forests.
The purposes of this subchapter are—
(2) to facilitate greater protection of tropical forests (and to give priority to protecting tropical forests with the highest levels of biodiversity and under the most severe threat) by providing for the alleviation of debt in countries where tropical forests are located, thus allowing the use of additional resources to protect these critical resources and reduce economic pressures that have led to deforestation;
(3) to ensure that resources freed from debt in such countries are targeted to protection of tropical forests and their associated values; and
Source(Pub. L. 87–195, pt. V, § 802, as added Pub. L. 105–214, § 1,July 29, 1998, 112 Stat. 885.)
A prior section 2431,Pub. L. 87–195, pt. V, § 801, as added Pub. L. 93–189, § 24,Dec. 17, 1973, 87 Stat. 728, authorized the President to furnish assistance for relief and reconstruction of South Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, prior to repeal by Pub. L. 94–329, title IV, § 413(a),June 30, 1976, 90 Stat. 761.
A prior section 802 ofPub. L. 87–195, pt. V, was classified to section 2432 of this title prior to repeal by Pub. L. 94–329.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.