22 U.S. Code § 2902 - Japan-United States Friendship Trust Fund
There is established in the Treasury of the United States a trust fund to be known as the Japan-United States Friendship Trust Fund (hereafter referred to as the “Fund”).
(b) Use of amounts in Fund for promotion of scholarly, cultural, and artistic activities between Japan and United States
Amounts in the Fund shall be used for the promotion of scholarly, cultural, and artistic activities between Japan and the United States, including—
(1) support for studies, including language studies, in institutions of higher education or scholarly research in Japan and the United States, designed to foster mutual understanding between Japan and the United States;
(2) support for major collections of Japanese books and publications in appropriate libraries located throughout the United States and similar support for collections of American books and publications in appropriate libraries located throughout Japan;
(3) support for programs in the arts in association with appropriate institutions in Japan and the United States;
(4) support for fellowships and scholarships at the graduate and faculty levels in Japan and the United States in accord with the purposes of this chapter;
(5) support for visiting professors and lecturers at colleges and universities in Japan and the United States; and
(c) Use of amounts in Fund for administrative expenses of Japan-United States Friendship Commission
Amounts in the Fund may also be used to pay administrative expenses of the Japan-United States Friendship Commission, established by section 2903 of this title, as directed by that Commission.
(d) Authorization of appropriations; source of amounts
There is authorized to be appropriated to the Fund, for fiscal year 1976, an amount equal to 7.5 per centum of the total funds payable to the United States pursuant to the Agreement Between Japan and the United States of America Concerning the Ryukyu Islands and the Daito Islands, signed at Washington and Tokyo, June 17, 1971, including interest and proceeds accruing to the Fund from such funds in accordance with sections 2905 (4) and 2906 of this title.
(e) Additional authorization of appropriations; source of amounts; subsequent use of unappropriated portion of amounts authorized to be appropriated
(1) There is authorized to be appropriated to the Fund, for fiscal year 1976, in addition to the amount authorized to be appropriated by subsection (d) of this section, those funds available in United States accounts in Japan and transferred by the Government of Japan to the United States pursuant to the United States request made under article V of the agreement between the United States of America and Japan regarding the settlement of Postwar Economic Assistance to Japan, signed in Tokyo, January 9, 1962, and the exchange of notes of the same date (13 U.S.T. 1957; T.I.A.S. 5154) (the G.A.R.I.O.A. Account), including interest accruing to the G.A.R.I.O.A. Account and interest and proceeds accruing to the Fund from such funds in accordance with sections 2905 (4) and 2906 of this title.
(2) The amount authorized to be appropriated by paragraph (1) of this subsection shall not include any amount required by law to be applied to United States participation in the International Ocean Exposition to be held in Okinawa, Japan.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.