22 U.S. Code § 3754 - Congressional restraints on property transfers and tax expenditures; formal apprisal of Panama
prev | next
(a) The Congress enacts this section in the exercise of its authority under Article IV, section 3, clause 2 of the Constitution of the United States to dispose of and make necessary rules and regulations with respect to property of the United States.
(b) Prior to the transfer of property of the United States located in the Republic of Panama to the Republic of Panama pursuant to section 3784 of this title the President shall formally advise the Government of Panama that—
(1) in fulfilling its obligations under the Panama Canal Treaty of 1977, the United States shall make no payments to the Republic of Panama derived from tax revenues of the United States;
(2) the United States retains full discretion and authority to determine whether and the extent to which tax revenues of the United States may be expended in exercising United States rights and carrying out United States responsibilities under the Panama Canal Treaty of 1977 and related agreements;
(3) no tax revenues of the United States shall be made available for obligations and expenditure after October 1, 1979, for purposes of implementing the Panama Canal Treaty of 1977 and related agreements, unless hereafter specifically approved by the Congress through the authorization and appropriation process;
(4) the total amount expended by the Commission from funds available for the use of the Commission shall not exceed the total amount deposited in the Panama Canal Revolving Fund; and
(5) the foregoing paragraphs of this subsection do not apply to expenditures made by the United States in fulfilling United States obligations to transfer the remains of our honored dead from Mount Hope Cemetery in the former Canal Zone to an appropriate and dignified resting place in accordance with Reservation 3 to the Treaty Concerning the Permanent Neutrality and Operation of the Panama Canal.
Source(Pub. L. 96–70, title I, § 1344,Sept. 27, 1979, 93 Stat. 484; Pub. L. 100–203, title V, § 5428(c),Dec. 22, 1987, 101 Stat. 1330–274.)
1987—Subsec. (b)(4). Pub. L. 100–203substituted “available” for “appropriated to or” and “Panama Canal Revolving Fund” for “Panama Canal Commission Fund”.
Effective Date of 1987 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–203effective Jan. 1, 1988, see section 5429 ofPub. L. 100–203, set out as a note under section 3712 of this title.
Delegation of Functions
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.