22 U.S. Code § 5731 - Reporting requirement
prev | next
Not later than March 31, 1993, March 31, 1995, March 31, 1996, March 31, 1997, March 31, 1998, March 31, 1999, March 31, 2000, March 31, 2001, March 31, 2002, March 31, 2003, March 31, 2004, March 31, 2005, and March 31, 2006 the Secretary of State shall transmit to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate a report on conditions in Hong Kong of interest to the United States. This report shall cover (in the case of the initial report) the period since October 5, 1992, or (in the case of subsequent reports) the period since the most recent report pursuant to this section and shall describe—
(1) significant developments in United States relations with Hong Kong, including a description of agreements that have entered into force between the United States and Hong Kong;
(2) other matters, including developments related to the change in the exercise of sovereignty over Hong Kong, affecting United States interests in Hong Kong or United States relations with Hong Kong;
(3) the nature and extent of United States-Hong Kong cultural, education, scientific, and academic exchanges, both official and unofficial;
(4) the laws of the United States with respect to which the application of section 5721 (a) of this title has been suspended pursuant to section 5722 (a) of this title or with respect to which such a suspension has been terminated pursuant to section 5722 (d) of this title, and the reasons for the suspension or termination, as the case may be;
(5) treaties and other international agreements with respect to which the President has made a determination described in the last sentence of section 5721 (b) of this title, and the reasons for each such determination;
(6) significant problems in cooperation between Hong Kong and the United States in the area of export controls;
Source(Pub. L. 102–383, title III, § 301,Oct. 5, 1992, 106 Stat. 1453; Pub. L. 104–107, title V, § 576(a),Feb. 12, 1996, 110 Stat. 750; Pub. L. 107–115, title V, § 586(a),Jan. 10, 2002, 115 Stat. 2173.)
2002—Pub. L. 107–115substituted “March 31, 2000, March 31, 2001, March 31, 2002, March 31, 2003, March 31, 2004, March 31, 2005, and March 31, 2006” for “and March 31, 2000,” in introductory provisions.
1996—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 104–107inserted “March 31, 1996,” after “March 31, 1995,” in introductory provisions.
Extension of Reporting Time
Pub. L. 107–115, title V, § 586(b),Jan. 10, 2002, 115 Stat. 2173, provided that: “The requirement in section 301 of the United States-Hong Kong Policy Act [22 U.S.C. 5731], as amended by subsection (a), that a report under that section shall be transmitted not later than March 31, 2001, shall be considered satisfied by the transmittal of such report by August 7, 2001.”
Report on Sino-British Joint Declaration on Question of Hong Kong
Pub. L. 104–208, div. A, title I, § 101(c) [title V, § 571], Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009–121, 3009–167, which directed that the additional report required to be submitted during 1997 under this section include detailed information on the status of, and other developments affecting, implementation of the Sino-British Joint Declaration on the Question of Hong Kong, was from the Foreign Operations, Export Financing, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 1997, and was not repeated in subsequent appropriations acts. Similar provisions were contained in the following prior appropriation act:
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.