22 U.S. Code § 6305 - Definitions
prev | next
For purposes of this subchapter—
(1) the term “foreign person” means—
(A) an individual who is not a citizen of the United States or an alien admitted for permanent residence to the United States; or
(2) the term “goods or technology” means—
(A) nuclear materials and equipment and sensitive nuclear technology (as such terms are defined in section 3203 of this title), all export items designated by the President pursuant to section 2139a (c) of title 42, and all technical assistance requiring authorization under section 2077 (b) of title 42, and
(3) the term “IAEA safeguards” means the safeguards set forth in an agreement between a country and the International Atomic Energy Agency, as authorized by Article III(A)(5) of the Statute of the International Atomic Energy Agency;
(4) the term “nuclear explosive device” means any device, whether assembled or disassembled, that is designed to produce an instantaneous release of an amount of nuclear energy from special nuclear material that is greater than the amount of energy that would be released from the detonation of one pound of trinitrotoluene (TNT);
(5) the term “non-nuclear-weapon state” means any country which is not a nuclear-weapon state, as defined by Article IX (3) of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, signed at Washington, London, and Moscow on July 1, 1968;
(6) the term “special nuclear material” has the meaning given that term in section 2014 (aa) of title 42;
(7) the term “United States person” means—
(A) an individual who is a citizen of the United States or an alien admitted for permanent residence to the United States; or
(8) the term “unsafeguarded special nuclear material” means special nuclear material which is held in violation of IAEA safeguards or not subject to IAEA safeguards (excluding any quantity of material that could, if it were exported from the United States, be exported under a general license issued by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission).
Source(Pub. L. 103–236, title VIII, § 830,Apr. 30, 1994, 108 Stat. 521.)
References in Text
This subchapter, referred to in text, was in the original a reference to this part, meaning part B of title VIII of Pub. L. 103–236, which is classified principally to this subchapter. For complete classification of part B to the Code, see Effective Date note set out under section 6301 of this title and Tables.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.