23 U.S. Code § 604 - Lines of credit
(a) In General.—
(1) Agreements.— Subject to paragraphs (2) through (4), the Secretary may enter into agreements to make available to 1 or more obligors lines of credit in the form of direct loans to be made by the Secretary at future dates on the occurrence of certain events for any project selected under section 602.
(2) Use of proceeds.— The proceeds of a line of credit made available under this section shall be available to pay debt service on project obligations issued to finance eligible project costs, extraordinary repair and replacement costs, operation and maintenance expenses, and costs associated with unexpected Federal or State environmental restrictions.
(3) Risk assessment.— Before entering into an agreement under this subsection, the Secretary, in consultation with the Director of the Office of Management and Budget and each rating agency providing a preliminary rating opinion letter under section 602 (b)(3), shall determine an appropriate capital reserve subsidy amount for each line of credit, taking into account the rating opinion letter.
(b) Terms and Limitations.—
(1) In general.— A line of credit under this section with respect to a project shall be on such terms and conditions and contain such covenants, representations, warranties, and requirements (including requirements for audits) as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.
(2) Maximum amounts.— The total amount of a line of credit under this section shall not exceed 33 percent of the reasonably anticipated eligible project costs.
(3) Draws.— Any draw on a line of credit under this section shall—
(4) Interest rate.— Except as provided in subparagraphs (B) and (C) of section 603 (b)(4), the interest rate on a direct loan resulting from a draw on the line of credit shall be not less than the yield on 30-year United States Treasury securities, as of the date of execution of the line of credit agreement.
(5) Security.— A line of credit issued under this section—
(i) be payable, in whole or in part, from—
(6) Period of availability.— The full amount of a line of credit under this section, to the extent not drawn upon, shall be available during the 10-year period beginning on the date of substantial completion of the project.
(7) Rights of third-party creditors.—
(A) Against federal government.— A third-party creditor of the obligor shall not have any right against the Federal Government with respect to any draw on a line of credit under this section.
(A) In general.— Except as provided in subparagraph (B), a direct loan under this section shall not be subordinated to the claims of any holder of project obligations in the event of bankruptcy, insolvency, or liquidation of the obligor.
(B) Pre-existing indenture.—
(i) In general.— The Secretary shall waive the requirement of subparagraph (A) for a public agency borrower that is financing ongoing capital programs and has outstanding senior bonds under a preexisting indenture, if—
(II) the TIFIA program loan resulting from a draw on the line of credit is payable from pledged revenues not affected by project performance, such as a tax-backed revenue pledge or a system-backed pledge of project revenues; and
(ii) Limitation.— If the Secretary waives the nonsubordination requirement under this subparagraph—
(I) the maximum credit subsidy to be paid by the Federal Government shall be not more than 10 percent of the principal amount of the secured loan; and
(9) Fees.— The Secretary may establish fees at a level sufficient to cover all or a portion of the costs to the Federal Government of providing a line of credit under this section.
(10) Relationship to other credit instruments.— A project that receives a line of credit under this section also shall not receive a secured loan or loan guarantee under section 603 in an amount that, combined with the amount of the line of credit, exceeds 49 percent of eligible project costs.
(1) Terms and conditions.— The Secretary shall establish repayment terms and conditions for each direct loan under this section based on—
(2) Timing.— All repayments of principal or interest on a direct loan under this section shall be scheduled—
(A) to commence not later than 5 years after the end of the period of availability specified in subsection (b)(6); and
Source(Added Pub. L. 105–178, title I, § 1503(a),June 9, 1998, 112 Stat. 247, § 184; renumbered § 604 and amended Pub. L. 109–59, title I, §§ 1601(e), 1602(b)(4), (d),Aug. 10, 2005, 119 Stat. 1241, 1247; Pub. L. 112–141, div. A, title II, § 2002,July 6, 2012, 126 Stat. 617.)
2012—Pub. L. 112–141amended section generally. Prior to amendment, section related to lines of credit.
Subsec. (a)(1). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1602(b)(4)(A), substituted “602” for “182”.
Subsec. (a)(3). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1602(b)(4)(B), substituted “602(b)(2)(B)” for “182(b)(2)(B)”.
Subsec. (b)(2). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(1)(A), added par. (2) and struck out heading and text of former par. (2). Text read as follows:
“(A) Total amount.—The total amount of the line of credit shall not exceed 33 percent of the reasonably anticipated eligible project costs.
“(B) 1-year draws.—The amount drawn in any 1 year shall not exceed 20 percent of the total amount of the line of credit.”
Subsec. (b)(3). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(1)(B), substituted “but not including reasonably required financing reserves” for “, any debt service reserve fund, and any other available reserve”.
Subsec. (b)(4). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(1)(C), struck out “marketable” before “United States Treasury securities” and substituted “date of execution of the line of credit agreement” for “date on which the line of credit is obligated”.
Subsec. (b)(5)(A)(i). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(1)(D), inserted “that also secure the senior project obligations” after “sources”.
Subsec. (b)(6). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(1)(E), substituted “The full amount of the line of credit, to the extent not drawn upon,” for “The line of credit”.
Subsec. (b)(10). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1602(b)(4)(C), substituted “603” for “183”.
Subsec. (c)(2). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(2)(A), struck out “scheduled” before “repayments”, inserted “be scheduled to” after “shall”, and substituted “to conclude, with full repayment of principal and interest,” for “be fully repaid, with interest,”.
Subsec. (c)(3). Pub. L. 109–59, § 1601(e)(2)(B), struck out heading and text of par. (3). Text read as follows: “The sources of funds for scheduled loan repayments under this section shall include tolls, user fees, or other dedicated revenue sources.”
Effective Date of 2012 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.