25 U.S. Code § 3501 - Definitions
prev | next
In this chapter:
(1) The term “Director” means the Director of the Office of Indian Energy Policy and Programs, Department of Energy.
(2) The term “Indian land” means—
(B) any land not located within the boundaries of an Indian reservation, pueblo, or rancheria, the title to which is held—
(ii) by an Indian tribe or an individual Indian, subject to restriction against alienation under laws of the United States; or
(3) The term “Indian reservation” includes—
(A) The term “Indian tribe” has the meaning given the term in section 450b of this title.
(5) The term “integration of energy resources” means any project or activity that promotes the location and operation of a facility (including any pipeline, gathering system, transportation system or facility, or electric transmission or distribution facility) on or near Indian land to process, refine, generate electricity from, or otherwise develop energy resources on, Indian land.
(6) The term “Native Corporation” has the meaning given the term in section 3 of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1602).
(7) The term “organization” means a partnership, joint venture, limited liability company, or other unincorporated association or entity that is established to develop Indian energy resources.
(8) The term “Program” means the Indian energy resource development program established under section 3502 (a) of this title.
(10) The term “sequestration” means the long-term separation, isolation, or removal of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, including through a biological or geologic method such as reforestation or an underground reservoir.
(11) The term “tribal energy resource development organization” means an organization of two or more entities, at least one of which is an Indian tribe, that has the written consent of the governing bodies of all Indian tribes participating in the organization to apply for a grant, loan, or other assistance under section 3502 of this title.
Source(Pub. L. 102–486, title XXVI, § 2601, as added Pub. L. 109–58, title V, § 503(a),Aug. 8, 2005, 119 Stat. 764.)
References in Text
The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, referred to in par. (2)(C), is Pub. L. 92–203, Dec. 18, 1971, 85 Stat. 688, as amended, which is classified generally to chapter 33 (§ 1601 et seq.) of Title 43, Public Lands. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1601 of Title 43 and Tables.
A prior section 3501,Pub. L. 102–486, title XXVI, § 2601,Oct. 24, 1992, 106 Stat. 3113, defined terms, prior to the general amendment of this chapter by Pub. L. 109–58.
Consultation With Indian Tribes
Pub. L. 109–58, title V, § 504,Aug. 8, 2005, 119 Stat. 778, provided that: “In carrying out this title [enacting this chapter, section 7144e of Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare, and subchapter V (§ 16001) of chapter 149 of Title 42, amending section 4132 of this title and section 5315 of Title 5, Government Organization and Employees, and enacting provisions set out as a note under section 15801 of Title 42] and the amendments made by this title, the Secretary [of Energy] and the Secretary of the Interior shall, as appropriate and to the maximum extent practicable, involve and consult with Indian tribes.”