33 U.S. Code § 2904 - Establishment of Estuary Habitat Restoration Council
There is established a council to be known as the “Estuary Habitat Restoration Council”.
The Council shall be responsible for—
(1) soliciting, reviewing, and evaluating project proposals and developing recommendations concerning such proposals based on the factors specified in section 2903 (c)(3) of this title;
(2) submitting to the Secretary a list of recommended projects, including a recommended priority order and any recommendation as to whether a project should be carried out by the Secretary or by another Federal department or agency under section 2903 (g) of this title;
(4) periodically reviewing the effectiveness of the national strategy in meeting the purposes of this chapter and, as necessary, updating the national strategy;
(5) providing advice on the development of the database, monitoring standards, and report required under sections 2906 and 2907 of this title;
(6) cooperating in the implementation of the strategy developed under section 2905 of this title;
(7) recommending standards for monitoring for restoration projects and contribution of project information to the database developed under section 2906 of this title; and
The Council shall be composed of the following members:
(2) The Under Secretary for Oceans and Atmosphere of the Department of Commerce (or the Under Secretary’s designee).
(4) The Secretary of the Interior, acting through the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (or such Secretary’s designee).
(d) Prohibition of compensation
Members of the Council may not receive compensation for their service as members of the Council.
The chairperson shall be elected by the Council from among its members for a 3-year term, except that the first elected chairperson may serve a term of fewer than 3 years.
(f) Convening of Council
(1) First meeting
The Secretary shall convene the first meeting of the Council not later than 60 days after November 7, 2000, for the purpose of electing a chairperson.
(g) Council procedures
The Council shall establish procedures for voting, the conduct of meetings, and other matters, as necessary.
(h) Public participation
Meetings of the Council shall be open to the public. The Council shall provide notice to the public of such meetings.
The Council shall consult with persons with recognized scientific expertise in estuary or estuary habitat restoration, representatives of State agencies, local or regional government agencies, and nongovernmental organizations with expertise in estuary or estuary habitat restoration, and representatives of Indian tribes, agricultural interests, fishing interests, and other estuary users—
(1) to assist the Council in the development of the estuary habitat restoration strategy to be developed under section 2905 of this title; and
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.