36 U.S. Code § 80303 - Governing body
(a) National Council.—
(1) There shall be a National Council of Girl Scouts. The number, qualifications, and term of office of members of the Council are as provided in the constitution of the corporation, except that members of the Council must be citizens of the United States.
(2) The Council may adopt and amend a constitution and bylaws and elect a board of directors, officers, and agents.
(3) The constitution may prescribe the number of members of the Council necessary for a quorum. That number may be less than a majority of the entire Council.
(b) Board of Directors.—
(1) To the extent provided in the constitution and bylaws, the board of directors shall have the powers of the Council and manage the activities of the corporation between meetings of the Council. The number, qualifications, and term of office of directors are as provided in the constitution.
(c) Executive and Other Committees.— The bylaws may provide for—
(1) an executive committee to carry out the powers of the board of directors between meetings of the board; and
Source(Pub. L. 105–225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1361.)
|Revised Section||Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|36:34 (1st sentence words before 1st comma, 2d sentence).|
|Mar. 16, 1950, ch. 62, §§ 4 (1st–7th sentences), 5, 64 Stat. 23, 24; Aug. 14, 1953, ch. 486, § 1, 67 Stat. 582.|
|36:34 (1st sentence words after 1st comma).|
|36:34 (3d sentence).|
|36:35 (1st, 2d sentences).|
|36:34 (4th sentence words before 1st comma, 5th, 7th sentences).|
|36:34 (6th sentence).|
|36:34 (4th sentence words after 1st comma).|
|36:35 (last sentence).|
In subsection (a)(1), the words “(hereinafter referred to as the ‘national council’)” are omitted as unnecessary.
In subsection (a)(3), the words “entire Council” are substituted for “whole number” for clarity.
In subsection (b)(1), the first sentence is substituted for “The affairs of the corporation between meetings of the national council shall be managed by a board of directors” and “The board of directors, to the extent provided in the constitution and bylaws, shall have the powers of the national council, in the interim between its meetings” to eliminate unnecessary words.