40 U.S. Code § 102 - Definitions
prev | next
The following definitions apply in chapters 1 through 7 of this title and in division C (except sections 3302, 3501 (b), 3509, 3906, 4710, and 4711) of subtitle I of title 41:
(1) Care and handling.— The term “care and handling” includes—
(A) completing, repairing, converting, rehabilitating, operating, preserving, protecting, insuring, packing, storing, handling, conserving, and transporting excess and surplus property; and
(2) Contractor inventory.— The term “contractor inventory” means—
(A) property, in excess of amounts needed to complete full performance, that is acquired by and in possession of a contractor or subcontractor under a contract pursuant to which title is vested in the Federal Government; and
(B) property that the Government is obligated or has the option to take over, under any type of contract, as a result of changes in specifications or plans under the contract, or as a result of termination of the contract (or a subcontract), prior to completion of the work, for the convenience or at the option of the Government.
(3) Excess property.— The term “excess property” means property under the control of a federal agency that the head of the agency determines is not required to meet the agency’s needs or responsibilities.
(4) Executive agency.— The term “executive agency” means—
(A) an executive department or independent establishment in the executive branch of the Government; and
(5) Federal agency.— The term “federal agency” means an executive agency or an establishment in the legislative or judicial branch of the Government (except the Senate, the House of Representatives, and the Architect of the Capitol, and any activities under the direction of the Architect of the Capitol).
(6) Foreign excess property.— The term “foreign excess property” means excess property that is not located in the States of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Palau, and the Virgin Islands.
(7) Motor vehicle.— The term “motor vehicle” means any vehicle, self-propelled or drawn by mechanical power, designed and operated principally for highway transportation of property or passengers, excluding—
(A) a vehicle designed or used for military field training, combat, or tactical purposes, or used principally within the confines of a regularly established military post, camp, or depot; and
(8) Nonpersonal services.— The term “nonpersonal services” means contractual services designated by the Administrator of General Services, other than personal and professional services.
(9) Property.— The term “property” means any interest in property except—
(iii) minerals in land or portions of land withdrawn or reserved from the public domain which the Secretary of the Interior determines are suitable for disposition under the public land mining and mineral leasing laws; and
(iv) land withdrawn or reserved from the public domain except land or portions of land so withdrawn or reserved which the Secretary, with the concurrence of the Administrator, determines are not suitable for return to the public domain for disposition under the general public land laws because the lands are substantially changed in character by improvements or otherwise;
Source(Pub. L. 107–217, Aug. 21, 2002, 116 Stat. 1063; Pub. L. 111–350, § 5(l)(2),Jan. 4, 2011, 124 Stat. 3850.)
|Revised Section||Source (U.S. Code)||Source (Statutes at Large)|
|102||40:472.||June 30, 1949, ch. 288, § 3, 63 Stat. 378; Sept. 5, 1950, ch. 849, §§ 7(a), 8(a), 64 Stat. 590, 591; July 12, 1952, ch. 703, § 1(a), (b), 66 Stat. 593; Sept. 1, 1954, ch. 1211, § 4(c), 68 Stat. 1129; Aug. 12, 1955, ch. 874, § 2, 69 Stat. 722; Pub. L. 85–337, § 5, Feb. 28, 1958, 72 Stat. 29; Pub. L. 86–70, § 30(a), June 25, 1959, 73 Stat. 148; Pub. L. 86–624, § 27(a), July 12, 1960, 74 Stat. 418; Pub. L. 93–594, Jan. 2, 1975, 88 Stat. 1926.|
In this section, the words “and in title III of the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949 (41 U.S.C. 251 et seq.)” are added to provide an accurate literal translation of the words “this Act”, meaning the Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949. See the revision note under section 111 of this title. The definition of “Administrator” is omitted as unnecessary. The text of 40:472(i) is omitted as unnecessary because of the definition of “person” in 1:1.
In clause (6), the words “the Northern Mariana Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Palau” are substituted for “the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands” because of the termination of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 48:1681 note prec.