In this subtitle, the following definitions apply:
(1) Commission.— The term “Commission” means a Commission established under section
(2) Local development district.— The term “local development district” means an entity that—
(i)is an economic development district that is—
(I)in existence on the date of the enactment of this chapter; and
(II)located in the region; or
(ii)if an entity described in clause (i) does not exist—
(I)is organized and operated in a manner that ensures broad-based community participation and an effective opportunity for local officials, community leaders, and the public to contribute to the development and implementation of programs in the region;
(II)is governed by a policy board with at least a simple majority of members consisting of—
(aa)elected officials; or
(bb)designees or employees of a general purpose unit of local government that have been appointed to represent the unit of local government; and
(III)is certified by the Governor or appropriate State officer as having a charter or authority that includes the economic development of counties, portions of counties, or other political subdivisions within the region; and
(B)has not, as certified by the Federal Cochairperson—
(i)inappropriately used Federal grant funds from any Federal source; or
(ii)appointed an officer who, during the period in which another entity inappropriately used Federal grant funds from any Federal source, was an officer of the other entity.
(3) Federal grant program.— The term “Federal grant program” means a Federal grant program to provide assistance in carrying out economic and community development activities.
(4) Indian tribe.— The term “Indian tribe” has the meaning given the term in section 4 of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act (25 U.S.C. 450b).
(5) Nonprofit entity.— The term “nonprofit entity” means any organization described in section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and exempt from taxation under 501(a) of that Code that has been formed for the purpose of economic development.
(6) Region.— The term “region” means the area covered by a Commission as described in subchapter II of chapter 157.
 So in original. Probably means chapter 4 of this subtitle.
Pub. L. 110–234, title XIV, § 14217(d),May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1482, and Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title XIV, § 14217(d),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2244, provided that: “This section [enacting this subtitle, redesignating former subtitle V as subtitle VI of this title, and amending section 11 of the Inspector General Act of 1978, Pub. L. 95–452, set out in the Appendix to Title 5, Government Organization and Employees], and the amendments made by this section, shall take effect on the first day of the first fiscal year beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act [June 18, 2008].”
The table below lists the classification updates, since Jan. 3, 2012, for this section. Updates to a broader range of sections may be found at the update page for containing chapter, title, etc.
The most recent Classification Table update that we have noticed was Tuesday, August 13, 2013
An empty table indicates that we see no relevant changes listed in the classification tables. If you suspect that our system may be missing something, please double-check with the Office of the Law Revision Counsel.
Description of Change
Statutes at Large
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.