40 U.S. Code § 15304 - Administrative powers and expenses
(a) Powers.— In carrying out its duties under this subtitle, a Commission may—
(1) hold such hearings, sit and act at such times and places, take such testimony, receive such evidence, and print or otherwise reproduce and distribute a description of the proceedings and reports on actions by the Commission as the Commission considers appropriate;
(2) authorize, through the Federal or State Cochairperson or any other member of the Commission designated by the Commission, the administration of oaths if the Commission determines that testimony should be taken or evidence received under oath;
(3) request from any Federal, State, or local agency such information as may be available to or procurable by the agency that may be of use to the Commission in carrying out the duties of the Commission;
(4) adopt, amend, and repeal bylaws and rules governing the conduct of business and the performance of duties by the Commission;
(5) request the head of any Federal agency, State agency, or local government to detail to the Commission such personnel as the Commission requires to carry out its duties, each such detail to be without loss of seniority, pay, or other employee status;
(6) provide for coverage of Commission employees in a suitable retirement and employee benefit system by making arrangements or entering into contracts with any participating State government or otherwise providing retirement and other employee coverage;
(7) accept, use, and dispose of gifts or donations or services or real, personal, tangible, or intangible property;
(8) enter into and perform such contracts, cooperative agreements, or other transactions as are necessary to carry out Commission duties, including any contracts or cooperative agreements with a department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States, a State (including a political subdivision, agency, or instrumentality of the State), or a person, firm, association, or corporation; and
(b) Federal Agency Cooperation.— A Federal agency shall—
(c) Administrative Expenses.—
(1) In general.— Subject to paragraph (2), the administrative expenses of a Commission shall be paid—
(A) by the Federal Government, in an amount equal to 50 percent of the administrative expenses of the Commission; and
(2) Expenses of the federal cochairperson.— All expenses of the Federal Cochairperson, including expenses of the alternate and staff of the Federal Cochairperson, shall be paid by the Federal Government.
(3) State share.—
(A) In general.— Subject to subparagraph (B), the share of administrative expenses of a Commission to be paid by each State of the Commission shall be determined by a unanimous vote of the State members of the Commission.
(B) No federal participation.— The Federal Cochairperson shall not participate or vote in any decision under subparagraph (A).
(C) Delinquent states.— During any period in which a State is more than 1 year delinquent in payment of the State’s share of administrative expenses of the Commission under this subsection—
(i) no assistance under this subtitle shall be provided to the State (including assistance to a political subdivision or a resident of the State) for any project not approved as of the date of the commencement of the delinquency; and
Source(Added Pub. L. 110–234, title XIV, § 14217(a)(2),May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1471, and Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title XIV, § 14217(a)(2),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 2233.)