42 U.S. Code § 1973gg–7 - Federal coordination and regulations
(a) In general
The Election Assistance Commission—
(1) in consultation with the chief election officers of the States, shall prescribe such regulations as are necessary to carry out paragraphs (2) and (3);
(2) in consultation with the chief election officers of the States, shall develop a mail voter registration application form for elections for Federal office;
(3) not later than June 30 of each odd-numbered year, shall submit to the Congress a report assessing the impact of this subchapter on the administration of elections for Federal office during the preceding 2-year period and including recommendations for improvements in Federal and State procedures, forms, and other matters affected by this subchapter; and
(b) Contents of mail voter registration form
The mail voter registration form developed under subsection (a)(2) of this section—
(1) may require only such identifying information (including the signature of the applicant) and other information (including data relating to previous registration by the applicant), as is necessary to enable the appropriate State election official to assess the eligibility of the applicant and to administer voter registration and other parts of the election process;
(2) shall include a statement that—
(4) shall include, in print that is identical to that used in the attestation portion of the application—
(ii) a statement that, if an applicant declines to register to vote, the fact that the applicant has declined to register will remain confidential and will be used only for voter registration purposes; and
Source(Pub. L. 103–31, § 9,May 20, 1993, 107 Stat. 87; Pub. L. 107–252, title VIII, § 802(b),Oct. 29, 2002, 116 Stat. 1726.)
2002—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 107–252substituted “Election Assistance Commission” for “Federal Election Commission” in introductory provisions.
Effective Date of 2002 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.