42 U.S. Code § -
prev | next
(a) In general
The Secretary, acting through the Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration, may enter into an agreement with eligible individuals for the repayment of education loans, in accordance with this section, to increase the number of qualified nursing faculty.
Each agreement entered into under this subsection shall require that the eligible individual shall serve as a full-time member of the faculty of an accredited school of nursing, for a total period, in the aggregate, of at least 4 years during the 6-year period beginning on the later of—
(1) the date on which the individual receives a master’s or doctorate nursing degree from an accredited school of nursing; or
(c) Agreement provisions
Agreements entered into pursuant to subsection (b) shall be entered into on such terms and conditions as the Secretary may determine, except that—
(1) not more than 10 months after the date on which the 6-year period described under subsection (b) begins, but in no case before the individual starts as a full-time member of the faculty of an accredited school of nursing  the Secretary shall begin making payments, for and on behalf of that individual, on the outstanding principal of, and interest on, any loan of that individual obtained to pay for such degree;
(2) for an individual who has completed a master’s in nursing or equivalent degree in nursing—
(3) for an individual who has completed a doctorate or equivalent degree in nursing—
(d) Breach of agreement
(1) In general
In the case of any agreement made under subsection (b), the individual is liable to the Federal Government for the total amount paid by the Secretary under such agreement, and for interest on such amount at the maximum legal prevailing rate, if the individual fails to meet the agreement terms required under such subsection.
(2) Waiver or suspension of liability
In the case of an individual making an agreement for purposes of paragraph (1), the Secretary shall provide for the waiver or suspension of liability under such paragraph if compliance by the individual with the agreement involved is impossible or would involve extreme hardship to the individual or if enforcement of the agreement with respect to the individual would be unconscionable.
(3) Date certain for recovery
Subject to paragraph (2), any amount that the Federal Government is entitled to recover under paragraph (1) shall be paid to the United States not later than the expiration of the 3-year period beginning on the date the United States becomes so entitled.
(e) Eligible individual defined
For purposes of this section, the term “eligible individual” means an individual who—
(g) Authorization of appropriations
There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.
 So in original. Probably should be followed by a comma.
 So in original. Probably should not be capitalized.
 So in original. Probably should be “individual student loan repayments”.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VIII, § 847, as added Pub. L. 111–148, title V, § 5311(b),Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 632.)
A prior section 847 of act July 1, 1944, was classified to section 297n of this title prior to repeal by Pub. L. 102–408.
A prior section 297q, act July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title VIII, § 841, as added Pub. L. 105–392, title I, § 123(5),Nov. 13, 1998, 112 Stat. 3569, was renumbered section 871 of act July 1, 1944, and amended by Pub. L. 111–148, title V, §§ 5310(b)(7), 5312,Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 631, 633, and transferred to section 298d of this title.