42 U.S. Code § 300v - Commission
prev | next
(a) Establishment; composition; appointment of members; vacancies
(1) There is established the President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research (hereinafter in this subchapter referred to as the “Commission”) which shall be composed of eleven members appointed by the President. The members of the Commission shall be appointed as follows:
(A) Three of the members shall be appointed from individuals who are distinguished in biomedical or behavioral research.
(B) Three of the members shall be appointed from individuals who are distinguished in the practice of medicine or otherwise distinguished in the provision of health care.
(2) No individual who is a full–time officer or employee of the United States may be appointed as a member of the Commission. The Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Secretary of Defense, the Director of Central Intelligence, the Director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and the Director of the National Science Foundation shall each designate an individual to provide liaison with the Commission.
(3) No individual may be appointed to serve as a member of the Commission if the individual has served for two terms of four years each as such a member.
(b) Terms of members
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), members shall be appointed for terms of four years.
(2) Of the members first appointed—
as designated by the President at the time of appointment.
The Chairman of the Commission shall be appointed by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, from members of the Commission.
(1) Seven members of the Commission shall constitute a quorum for business, but a lesser number may conduct hearings.
(e) Compensation; travel expenses, etc.
(1) Members of the Commission shall each be entitled to receive the daily equivalent of the annual rate of basic pay in effect for grade GS–18 of the General Schedule for each day (including travel time) during which they are engaged in the actual performance of duties vested in the Commission.
(2) While away from their homes or regular places of business in the performance of services for the Commission, members of the Commission shall be allowed travel expenses, including per diem in lieu of subsistence, in the same manner as persons employed intermittently in the Government service are allowed expenses under section 5703 of title 5.
Source(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title XVIII, § 1801, as added Pub. L. 95–622, title III, § 301,Nov. 9, 1978, 92 Stat. 3437; amended Pub. L. 96–88, title V, § 509(b),Oct. 17, 1979, 93 Stat. 695; Pub. L. 100–527, § 10(1),Oct. 25, 1988, 102 Stat. 2640.)
1988—Subsec. (a)(2). Pub. L. 100–527substituted “Secretary of Veterans Affairs” for “Administrator of Veterans’ Affairs”.
Change of Name
Reference to the Director of Central Intelligence or the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency in the Director’s capacity as the head of the intelligence community deemed to be a reference to the Director of National Intelligence. Reference to the Director of Central Intelligence or the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency in the Director’s capacity as the head of the Central Intelligence Agency deemed to be a reference to the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. See section 1081(a), (b) ofPub. L. 108–458, set out as a note under section 3001 of Title 50, War and National Defense.
“Secretary of Health and Human Services” substituted for “Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare” in subsec. (a)(2) pursuant to section 509(b) ofPub. L. 96–88, which is classified to section 3508 (b) of Title 20, Education.
Effective Date of 1988 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 100–527effective Mar. 15, 1989, see section 18(a) ofPub. L. 100–527, set out as a Department of Veterans Affairs Act note under section 301 of Title 38, Veterans’ Benefits.
References in Other Laws to GS–16, 17, or 18 Pay Rates
References in laws to the rates of pay for GS–16, 17, or 18, or to maximum rates of pay under the General Schedule, to be considered references to rates payable under specified sections of Title 5, Government Organization and Employees, see section 529 [title I, § 101(c)(1)] of Pub. L. 101–509, set out in a note under section 5376 of Title 5.
Appointment of Initial Members
Section 302(a) ofPub. L. 95–622directed President to initially appoint members to President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine and Biomedical and Behavioral Research (established under the amendment made by section 301) [enacting this subchapter] not later than 90 days after Nov. 9, 1978.
Executive Order No. 12184