42 U.S. Code § 3712 - Duties and functions of Assistant Attorney General
(a) Specific, general and delegated powers
The Assistant Attorney General shall—
(1) publish and disseminate information on the conditions and progress of the criminal justice systems;
(2) maintain liaison with the executive and judicial branches of the Federal and State governments in matters relating to criminal justice;
(3) provide information to the President, the Congress, the judiciary, State and local governments, and the general public relating to criminal justice;
(4) maintain liaison with public and private educational and research institutions, State and local governments, and governments of other nations relating to criminal justice;
(5) coordinate and provide staff support to coordinate the activities of the Office and the Bureau of Justice Assistance, the National Institute of Justice, the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Office for Victims of Crime, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention; and
Source(Pub. L. 90–351, title I, § 102, as added Pub. L. 98–473, title II, § 603(a),Oct. 12, 1984, 98 Stat. 2078; amended Pub. L. 107–296, title II, § 236,Nov. 25, 2002, 116 Stat. 2162; Pub. L. 109–162, title XI, § 1152,Jan. 5, 2006, 119 Stat. 3113.)
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in subsec. (a)(6), was in the original “this title”, meaning title I of Pub. L. 90–351, as added by Pub. L. 96–157, § 2,Dec. 27, 1979, 93 Stat. 1167, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of title I to the Code, see Tables.
A prior section 3712,Pub. L. 90–351, title I, § 102, as added Pub. L. 96–157, § 2,Dec. 27, 1979, 93 Stat. 1170, described duties and functions of Administrator of Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, prior to the general amendment of this subchapter by Pub. L. 98–473.
2006—Subsec. (a)(5). Pub. L. 109–162, § 1152(a), inserted “the Office for Victims of Crime,” after “the Bureau of Justice Statistics,”.
Subsec. (a)(6). Pub. L. 109–162, § 1152(b), inserted “, including placing special conditions on all grants, and determining priority purposes for formula grants” before period at end.
2002—Subsec. (a)(5). Pub. L. 107–296inserted “coordinate and” before “provide”.
Effective Date of 2002 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 107–296effective 60 days after Nov. 25, 2002, see section 4 ofPub. L. 107–296, set out as an Effective Date note under section 101 of Title 6, Domestic Security.