42 U.S. Code § 4902 - Definitions
For purposes of this chapter:
(2) The term “person” means an individual, corporation, partnership, or association, and (except as provided in sections 4910 (e) and 4911 (a) of this title) includes any officer, employee, department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States, a State, or any political subdivision of a State.
(3) The term “product” means any manufactured article or goods or component thereof; except that such term does not include—
(A) any aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance, as such terms are defined in section 40102 (a) of title 49; or
(ii) any rockets or equipment which are designed for research, experimental, or developmental work to be performed by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration; or
(4) The term “ultimate purchaser” means the first person who in good faith purchases a product for purposes other than resale.
(5) The term “new product” means
(A) a product the equitable or legal title of which has never been transferred to an ultimate purchaser, or
(B) a product which is imported or offered for importation into the United States and which is manufactured after the effective date of a regulation under section 4905 or 4907 of this title which would have been applicable to such product had it been manufactured in the United States.
(6) The term “manufacturer” means any person engaged in the manufacturing or assembling of new products, or the importing of new products for resale, or who acts for, and is controlled by, any such person in connection with the distribution of such products.
(7) The term “commerce” means trade, traffic, commerce, or transportation—
(8) The term “distribute in commerce” means sell in, offer for sale in, or introduce or deliver for introduction into, commerce.
(9) The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
(10) The term “Federal agency” means an executive agency (as defined in section 105 of title 5) and includes the United States Postal Service.
Source(Pub. L. 92–574, § 3,Oct. 27, 1972, 86 Stat. 1234.)
In par. (3)(A), “section 40102 (a) of title 49” substituted for “section 101 of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958” on authority of Pub. L. 103–272, § 6(b),July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1378, the first section of which enacted subtitles II, III, and V to X of Title 49, Transportation.
Termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands