42 U.S. Code § 6991a - Notification
(a) Underground storage tanks
(1) Within 18 months after November 8, 1984, each owner of an underground storage tank shall notify the State or local agency or department designated pursuant to subsection (b)(1) of this section of the existence of such tank, specifying the age, size, type, location, and uses of such tank.
(A) For each underground storage tank taken out of operation after January 1, 1974, the owner of such tank shall, within eighteen months after November 8, 1984, notify the State or local agency, or department designated pursuant to subsection (b)(1) of this section of the existence of such tanks (unless the owner knows the tank subsequently was removed from the ground). The owner of a tank taken out of operation on or before January 1, 1974, shall not be required to notify the State or local agency under this subsection.
(B) Notice under subparagraph (A) shall specify, to the extent known to the owner—
(3) Any owner which brings into use an underground storage tank after the initial notification period specified under paragraph (1), shall notify the designated State or local agency or department within thirty days of the existence of such tank, specifying the age, size, type, location and uses of such tank.
(4) Paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection shall not apply to tanks for which notice was given pursuant to section 9603 (c) of this title.
(5) Beginning thirty days after the Administrator prescribes the form of notice pursuant to subsection (b)(2) of this section and for eighteen months thereafter, any person who deposits regulated substances in an underground storage tank shall reasonably notify the owner or operator of such tank of the owner’s notification requirements pursuant to this subsection.
(6) Beginning thirty days after the Administrator issues new tank performance standards pursuant to section 6991b (c) of this title, any person who sells a tank intended to be used as an underground storage tank shall notify the purchaser of such tank of the owner’s notification requirements pursuant to this subsection.
(b) Agency designation
(1) Within one hundred and eighty days after November 8, 1984, the Governors of each State shall designate the appropriate State agency or department or local agencies or departments to receive the notifications under subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) of this section.
(2) Within twelve months after November 8, 1984, the Administrator, in consultation with State and local officials designated pursuant to subsection (b)(1) of this section, and after notice and opportunity for public comment, shall prescribe the form of the notice and the information to be included in the notifications under subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) of this section. In prescribing the form of such notice, the Administrator shall take into account the effect on small businesses and other owners and operators.
(c) State inventories
Each State shall make 2 separate inventories of all underground storage tanks in such State containing regulated substances. One inventory shall be made with respect to petroleum and one with respect to other regulated substances. In making such inventories, the State shall utilize and aggregate the data in the notification forms submitted pursuant to subsections (a) and (b) of this section. Each State shall submit such aggregated data to the Administrator not later than 270 days after October 17, 1986.
(d) Public record
(1) In general
The Administrator shall require each State that receives Federal funds to carry out this subchapter to maintain, update at least annually, and make available to the public, in such manner and form as the Administrator shall prescribe (after consultation with States), a record of underground storage tanks regulated under this subchapter.
To the maximum extent practicable, the public record of a State, respectively, shall include, for each year—
(B) the record of compliance by underground storage tanks in the State with—
(ii) an applicable State program approved under section 6991c of this title; and
Source(Pub. L. 89–272, title II, § 9002, as added Pub. L. 98–616, title VI, § 601(a),Nov. 8, 1984, 98 Stat. 3278; amended Pub. L. 99–499, title II, § 205(b),Oct. 17, 1986, 100 Stat. 1696; Pub. L. 109–58, title XV, § 1526(c),Aug. 8, 2005, 119 Stat. 1098.)
2005—Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 109–58added subsec. (d).
1986—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 99–499added subsec. (c).