42 U.S. Code § -
prev | next
(a) Definition of high-need public secondary school
In this section, the term “high-need public secondary school” means a secondary school—
(1) with a high concentration of low-income individuals (as defined in section 6537 of title 20); or
The Secretary shall establish at each of the National Laboratories a program to support a Center of Excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (referred to in this section as a “Center of Excellence”) in at least 1 high-need public secondary school located in the region served by the National Laboratory to provide assistance in accordance with subsection (f).
(1) In general
To comply with subsection (g), each high-need public secondary school selected as a Center of Excellence and the National Laboratory shall form a partnership with a school, department, or program of education at an institution of higher education.
(1) In general
The Secretary, acting through the Director, shall establish criteria to guide the National Laboratories in selecting the sites for Centers of Excellence.
The Secretary shall establish goals and performance assessments for each Center of Excellence authorized under subsection (b).
Consistent with sections 7381b and 7381c of this title, the Director shall make available necessary assistance for a program established under this section through the use of scientific and engineering staff of a National Laboratory, including the use of staff—
(1) to assist teachers in teaching a course at a Center of Excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics; and
(g) Special rules
A Center of Excellence in a region shall ensure—
(1) provision of clinical practicum, student teaching, or internship experiences for science, technology, and mathematics teacher candidates as part of the teacher preparation program of the Center of Excellence;
(2) provision of supervision and mentoring for teacher candidates in the teacher preparation program; and
The Secretary shall consider the results of performance assessments required under subsection (e) in determining the contract award fee of a National Laboratory management and operations contractor.
The Director shall—
(1) develop an evaluation and accountability plan for the activities funded under this section that objectively measures the impact of the activities; and