42 U.S. Code § 7671i - Nonessential products containing chlorofluorocarbons
The Administrator shall promulgate regulations to carry out the requirements of this section within 1 year after November 15, 1990.
(b) Nonessential products
The regulations under this section shall identify nonessential products that release class I substances into the environment (including any release occurring during manufacture, use, storage, or disposal) and prohibit any person from selling or distributing any such product, or offering any such product for sale or distribution, in interstate commerce. At a minimum, such prohibition shall apply to—
(2) chlorofluorocarbon-containing cleaning fluids for noncommercial electronic and photographic equipment, and
(3) other consumer products that are determined by the Administrator—
(A) to release class I substances into the environment (including any release occurring during manufacture, use, storage, or disposal), and
In determining whether a product is nonessential, the Administrator shall consider the purpose or intended use of the product, the technological availability of substitutes for such product and for such class I substance, safety, health, and other relevant factors.
(c) Effective date
Effective 24 months after November 15, 1990, it shall be unlawful for any person to sell or distribute, or offer for sale or distribution, in interstate commerce any nonessential product to which regulations under subsection (a) of this section implementing subsection (b) of this section are applicable.
(d) Other products
(1) Effective January 1, 1994, it shall be unlawful for any person to sell or distribute, or offer for sale or distribution, in interstate commerce—
(2) The Administrator is authorized to grant exceptions from the prohibition under subparagraph (A) of paragraph (1) where—
(A) the use of the aerosol product or pressurized dispenser is determined by the Administrator to be essential as a result of flammability or worker safety concerns, and
(3) Subparagraph (B) of paragraph (1) shall not apply to—