46 U.S. Code § 12507 - Penalties
prev | next
(a) A person shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both, if the person with the intent to defraud—
(1) provides false information to the Secretary of Transportation or a State issuing authority regarding the identification of a vessel under this chapter; or
(2) tampers with, removes, or falsifies the unique vessel identification number assigned to a vessel under section 12502 of this title.
(b) A person is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $10,000 if the person—
(1) provides false information to the Secretary or a State issuing authority regarding the identification of a vessel under this chapter;
(2) violates section 12502 of this title; or
(3) fails to comply with requirements prescribed by the Secretary under section 12505 of this title.
(c) A vessel involved in a violation of this chapter, or regulation under this chapter, and its equipment, may be seized by, and forfeited to, the Government.