5 U.S. Code § 8432c - Contributions of certain persons reemployed after service with international organizations
(a) In this section, the term “covered person” means any person who—
(1) transfers from a position of employment covered by chapter 83 or 84 or subchapter I or II of chapter 8  of the Foreign Service Act of 1980 to a position of employment with an international organization pursuant to section 3582;
(2) pursuant to section 3582 elects to retain coverage, rights, and benefits under any system established by law for the retirement of persons during the period of employment with the international organization and currently deposits the necessary deductions in payment for such coverage, rights, and benefits in the system’s fund; and
(1) Each covered person may contribute to the Thrift Savings Fund, in accordance with this subsection, an amount not to exceed the amount described in paragraph (2).
(2) The maximum amount which a covered person may contribute under paragraph (1) is equal to—
(A) the total amount of all contributions under section 8351 (b)(2) or 8432 (a), as applicable, which the person would have made over the period beginning on the date of transfer of the person (as described in subsection (a)(1)) and ending on the day before the date of reemployment of the person (as described in subsection (a)(3)), minus
(3) Contributions under paragraph (1)—
(A) shall be made at the same time and in the same manner as would any contributions under section 8351 (b)(2) or 8432 (a), as applicable;
(4) The Executive Director shall prescribe the time, form, and manner in which a covered person may specify—
(A) the total amount the person wishes to contribute with respect to any period described in paragraph (2)(A); and
(c) If a covered person who makes contributions under section 8432 (a) makes contributions under subsection (b), the agency employing the person shall make those contributions to the Thrift Savings Fund on the person’s behalf in the same manner as contributions are made for an employee described in section 8432b (a) under sections 8432b (c), 8432b (d), and 8432b (f). Amounts paid under this subsection shall be paid in the same manner as amounts are paid under section 8432b (g).
(d) For purposes of any computation under this section, a covered person shall, with respect to the period described in subsection (b)(2)(A), be considered to have been paid at the rate which would have been payable over such period had the person remained continuously employed in the position that the person last held before transferring to the international organization.
(e) For purposes of section 8432 (g), a covered person shall be credited with a period of civilian service equal to the period beginning on the date of transfer of the person (as described in subsection (a)(1)) and ending on the day before the date of reemployment of the person (as described in subsection (a)(3)).
 See References in Text note below.
Source(Added Pub. L. 106–113, div. B, § 1000(a)(7) [div. A, title III, § 334(a)], Nov. 29, 1999, 113 Stat. 1536, 1501A–440.)
References in Text
The Foreign Service Act of 1980, referred to in subsec. (a)(1), (3), is Pub. L. 96–465, Oct. 17, 1980, 94 Stat. 2071, as amended. Subchapters I and II of chapter 8 of the Act probably mean subchapters I and II of chapter 8 of title I of the Act which are classified generally to parts I (§ 4041 et seq.) and II (§ 4071 et seq.), respectively, of subchapter VIII of chapter 52 of Title 22, Foreign Relations and Intercourse. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 3901 of Title 22 and Tables.