7 U.S. Code § 1765b - Functions
The functions of each United States Agricultural Trade Office shall be to—
(1) increase the effectiveness of agricultural export promotion efforts through consolidation of activities, providing services and facilities for foreign buyers and United States trade representatives, and coordination of market development activities sponsored by the Department of Agriculture;
(2) establish goals by nation or region and agricultural commodity for developing, expanding, and maintaining markets for United States agricultural commodities;
(3) initiate programs to achieve the export marketing goals approved by the Department of Agriculture;
(4) maintain facilities for use by nonresident cooperators, private trade groups, and other individuals engaged in the import and export of United States agricultural commodities where the use of such facilities would aid in the conduct of market development activities, and cooperate, to the maximum extent practicable, with such cooperators, groups, and individuals to expand the level of United States agricultural exports;
(5) develop and maintain a current listing of trade, government, and other appropriate organizations for each agricultural commodity area and make such listing available to persons with a bona fide interest in exporting or importing United States agricultural commodities;
(6) originate and provide assistance for exhibits, sales teams, and other functions for the promotion of United States agricultural commodities;
(7) provide practical assistance for the use of the programs under the Food for Peace Act [7 U.S.C. 1691 et seq.], the export credit sales program, the export incentives program, and related programs of the United States Government where use of such programs will serve as a market development tool for United States agriculture;
(8) supervise project agreements with United States cooperators, coordinate the activities of the United States Agricultural Trade Office with those of the cooperators, and submit annual recommendations to the Secretary of Agriculture on the efficacy of cooperator programs;
(9) publicize the services offered by the United States Agricultural Trade Office through advertisements in trade journals or by other appropriate means; and
Source(Aug. 28, 1954, ch. 1041, title VI, § 605B, as added Pub. L. 95–501, title IV, § 401(1),Oct. 21, 1978, 92 Stat. 1689; amended Pub. L. 110–246, title III, § 3001(b)(1)(A), (2)(H),June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1820.)
References in Text
The Food for Peace Act, referred to in par. (7), is act July 10, 1954, ch. 469, 68 Stat. 454, which is classified principally to chapter 41 (§ 1691 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1691 of this title and Tables.
2008—Par. (7). Pub. L. 110–246substituted “Food for Peace Act” for “Agricultural Trade Development and Assistance Act of 1954”.
Effective Date of 2008 Amendment