7 U.S. Code § 3292b - Competitive grants for international agricultural science and education programs
(a) Competitive grants authorized
The Secretary may make competitive grants to colleges and universities in order to strengthen United States economic competitiveness and to promote international market development.
(b) Purpose of grants
Grants under this section shall be directed to agricultural research, extension, and teaching activities that will—
(1) enhance the international content of the curricula in colleges and universities so as to ensure that United States students acquire an understanding of the international dimensions and trade implications of their studies;
(2) ensure that United States scientists, extension agents, and educators involved in agricultural research and development activities outside of the United States have the opportunity to convey the implications of their activities and findings to their peers and students in the United States and to the users of agricultural research, extension, and teaching;
(3) enhance the capabilities of colleges and universities to do collaborative research with other countries, in cooperation with other Federal agencies, on issues relevant to United States agricultural competitiveness;
(4) enhance the capabilities of colleges and universities to provide cooperative extension education to promote the application of new technology developed in foreign countries to United States agriculture; and
(5) enhance the capability of United States colleges and universities, in cooperation with other Federal agencies, to provide leadership and educational programs that will assist United States natural resources and food production, processing, and distribution businesses and industries to compete internationally, including product market identification, international policies limiting or enhancing market production, development of new or enhancement of existing markets, and production efficiencies.
Source(Pub. L. 95–113, title XIV, § 1459A, as added Pub. L. 105–185, title II, § 229,June 23, 1998, 112 Stat. 545; amended Pub. L. 107–171, title VII, § 7112,May 13, 2002, 116 Stat. 433; Pub. L. 110–234, title VII, § 7131,May 22, 2008, 122 Stat. 1228; Pub. L. 110–246, § 4(a), title VII, § 7131,June 18, 2008, 122 Stat. 1664, 1989; Pub. L. 113–79, title VII, § 7117,Feb. 7, 2014, 128 Stat. 875.)
Pub. L. 110–234and Pub. L. 110–246made identical amendments to this section. The amendments by Pub. L. 110–234were repealed by section 4(a) ofPub. L. 110–246.
2014—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 113–79amended subsec. (c) generally. Prior to amendment, text read as follows: “There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as are necessary to carry out this section for each of fiscal years 1999 through 2012.”
2008—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 110–246, § 7131, substituted “2012” for “2007”.
2002—Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 107–171substituted “2007” for “2002”.
Effective Date of 2008 Amendment