1) Abuse, generally: physically, sexually, or mentally injuring a person.
2) Child abuse: physically, sexually, or mentally injuring a child either with intent or through neglect.
3) Substance abuse: excessively using or misusing a legal or illegal substance.
4) In bankruptcy: filing under chapter 7 by a debtor whose monthly, disposable income exceeds $10,950 or 25% of his or her non-priority unsecured debt (if at least $6,575) for a five-year period is presumptively abusive, requiring dismissal or conversion to chapter 13.
Definition from Nolo’s Plain-English Law Dictionary
1) Mistreatment, as in child abuse. 2) Excessive and wrongful use, as in substance abuse. 3) In bankruptcy, misuse of Chapter 7 bankruptcy by a debtor that has enough disposable income to fund a Chapter 13 repayment plan.
Definition provided by Nolo’s Plain-English Law Dictionary.
August 19, 2010, 5:10 pm