legal education and practice
bar admissions: an overview
Admission to the practice of law (admission to the bar of a state) is governed by rules and regulations promulgated solely by a state's courts, legislatures, and/or bar association. The rules must not violate the constitutional requirements of due process and equal protection or be unrelated to one's ability to practice law.
menu of sources
State Judicial Decisions
- N.Y. Court of Appeals:
- New York Bar Association
Key Internet Sources
- NCBE & ABA Directory of State Bar Admission Offices
- NCBE & ABA Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements (2009 ed.)
- National Conference of Bar Examiners
- ABA Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
Useful Offnet (or Subscription - $) Sources
- Good Starting Point in Print: Guide To Bar Admission Requirements - 2009, American Bar Assoc., Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar and the National Conference of Bar Examiners.