10 CFR 1016.33 - External transmission of documents and material.
(1) Documents and material containing Restricted Data shall be transmitted only to persons who possess appropriate clearance or access authorization and are otherwise eligible for access under the requirements of § 1016.31.
(2) In addition, such documents and material shall be transmitted only to persons who possess facilities for their physicial security consistent with this part. Any person subject to the regulations in this part who transmits such documents or material shall be deemed to have fulfilled his obligations under this subparagraph by securing a written certification from the prospective recipient that such recipient possesses facilities for its physical security consistent with this part.
(1) They shall be enclosed in two sealed, opaque envelopes or wrappers.
(2) The inner envelope or wrapper shall be addressed in the ordinary manner and sealed with tape, the appropriate classification shall be placed on both sides of the envelope, and the additional marking referred to in § 1016.32(d) shall be placed on the side bearing the address.
(3) The outer envelope or wrapper shall be addressed in the ordinary manner. No classification, additional marking, or other notation shall be affixed which indicates that the document enclosed therein contains classified information or Restricted Data.
(4) A receipt which identifies the document, the date of transfer, the recipient, and the person transferring the document shall accompany the document and shall be signed by the recipient and returned to the sender whenever the custody of a Secret document is transferred.
(1) The material shall be so packaged that the classified characteristics will not be revealed.
(2) A receipt which identifies the material, the date of shipment, the recipient, and the person transferring the material shall accompany the material, and the recipient shall sign such receipt whenever the custody of Secret material is transferred.
(d)Methods of transportation.
(1) Secret matter shall be transported only by one of the following methods:
(i) By messenger-courier system specifically created for that purpose.
(ii) Registered mail.
(iii) By protective services provided by United States air or surface commercial carriers under such conditions as may be preserved by the DOE.
(f)Telephone conversations. Classified information shall not be discussed over the telephone.