10 CFR 32.30 - Certain industrial devices containing byproduct material: Requirements for license to manufacture, process, produce, or initially transfer.
An application for a specific license to manufacture, process, produce, or initially transfer for sale or distribution devices containing byproduct material for use under § 30.22 of this chapter or equivalent regulations of an Agreement State will be approved if:
(a) The applicant satisfies the general requirements of § 30.33 of this chapter: However, the requirements of § 30.33(a)(2) and (3) do not apply to an application for a license to transfer byproduct material in such industrial devices manufactured, processed, or produced under a license issued by an Agreement State;
(b) The applicant submits sufficient information relating to the design, manufacture, prototype testing, quality control procedures, labeling or marking, and conditions of handling, storage, use, and disposal of the industrial devices to demonstrate that the device will meet the safety criteria set forth in § 32.31. The information should include:
(1) A description of the device and its intended use or uses;
(2) The type and quantity of byproduct material in each unit;
(3) Chemical and physical form of the byproduct material in the device and changes in chemical and physical form that may occur during the useful life of the device;
(4) Solubility in water and body fluids of the forms of the byproduct material identified in paragraphs (b)(3) and (b)(12) of this section;
(5) Details of construction and design of the device as related to containment and shielding of the byproduct material and other safety features under normal and severe conditions of handling, storage, use, and disposal of the device;
(6) Maximum external radiation levels at 5 and 30 centimeters from any external surface of the device, averaged over an area not to exceed 10 square centimeters, and the method of measurement;
(7) Degree of access of human beings to the device during normal handling and use;
(8) Total quantity of byproduct material expected to be distributed in the devices annually;
(9) The expected useful life of the device;
(11) Procedures for prototype testing of the device to demonstrate the effectiveness of the containment, shielding, and other safety features under both normal and severe conditions of handling, storage, use, and disposal of the device;
(12) Results of the prototype testing of the device, including any change in the form of the byproduct material contained in the device, the extent to which the byproduct material may be released to the environment, any increase in external radiation levels, and any other changes in safety features;
(13) The estimated external radiation doses and committed doses resulting from the intake of byproduct material in any one year relevant to the safety criteria in § 32.31 and the basis for these estimates;
(14) A determination that the probabilities with respect to the doses referred to in § 32.31(a)(4) meet the criteria of that paragraph;
(15) Quality control procedures to be followed in the fabrication of production lots of the devices and the quality control standards the devices will be required to meet; and
(16) Any additional information, including experimental studies and tests, required by the Commission.
(1) The Commission determines that the device meets the safety criteria in § 32.31.
(2) The device is unlikely to be routinely used by members of the general public in a non-occupational environment.
(3) The device has been registered in the Sealed Source and Device Registry.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 32 after this date.
- 10 CFR 32.32 — Conditions of Licenses Issued Under § 32.30: Quality Control, Labeling, and Reports of Transfer.
- 10 CFR 32.31 — Certain Industrial Devices Containing Byproduct Material: Safety Criteria.
- 10 CFR 70.5 — Communications.
- 10 CFR 30.22 — Certain Industrial Devices.
- 10 CFR 30.6 — Communications.
- 10 CFR 40.5 — Communications.