10 CFR 32.62 - Same: Quality assurance; prohibition of transfer.
(a) Each person licensed under § 32.61 shall visually inspect each device and shall reject any which has an observable physical defect that could affect containment of the strontium-90.
(b) Each person licensed under § 32.61 shall test each device for possible loss of strontium-90 or for contamination by wiping with filter paper an area of at least 100 square centimeters on the outside surface of the device, or by wiping the entire surface area if it is less than 100 square centimeters. The detection on the filter paper of more than 2,200 disintegrations per minute of radioactive material per 100 square centimeters of surface wiped shall be cause for rejection of the tested device.
(c) Each person licensed under § 32.61 shall:
(1) Maintain quality assurance systems in the manufacture of the ice detection device containing strontium-90 in a manner sufficient to provide reasonable assurance that the safety-related components of the distributed devices are capable of performing their intended functions; and
(2) Subject inspection lots to acceptance sampling procedures, by procedures specified in paragraph (d) of this section and in the license issued under § 32.61, to provide at least 95 percent confidence that the Lot Tolerance Percent Defective of 5.0 percent will not be exceeded.
(d) Each person licensed under § 32.61 shall subject each inspection lot to:
(1) Tests that adequately take into account the individual, aggregate, and cumulative effects of environmental conditions expected in service that could possibly affect the effective containment of strontium-90, such as absolute pressure and water immersion.
(2) Inspection for evidence of physical damage, containment failure, or for loss of strontium-90 after each stage of testing, using methods of inspection adequate to determine compliance with the following criteria for defective: A leak resulting in a loss of 0.1 percent or more of the original amount of strontium-90 from the device and any other criteria specified in the license issued under § 32.61.
(1) Any ice detection device containing strontium-90 tested and found defective under the criteria specified in a license issued under § 32.61, unless the defective ice detection device has been repaired or reworked, retested, and determined by an independent inspector to meet the applicable acceptance criteria; or
(2) Any ice detection device containing strontium-90 contained within any lot that has been sampled and rejected as a result of the procedures in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, unless:
(i) A procedure for defining sub-lot size, independence, and additional testing procedures is contained in the license issued under § 32.61; and
(ii) Each individual sub-lot is sampled, tested, and accepted in accordance with paragraphs (c)(2) and (e)(2)(i) of this section and any other criteria as may be required as a condition of the license issued under § 32.61.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 32 after this date.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 10.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.