10 CFR 34.45 - Operating and emergency procedures.
(a) Operating and emergency procedures must include, as a minimum, instructions in the following:
(1) Appropriate handling and use of licensed sealed sources and radiographic exposure devices so that no person is likely to be exposed to radiation doses in excess of the limits established in 10 CFR part 20 of this chapter “Standards for Protection Against Radiation”;
(2) Methods and occasions for conducting radiation surveys;
(3) Methods for controlling access to radiographic areas;
(4) Methods and occasions for locking and securing radiographic exposure devices, transport and storage containers and sealed sources;
(5) Personnel monitoring and the use of personnel monitoring equipment;
(6) Transporting sealed sources to field locations, including packing of radiographic exposure devices and storage containers in the vehicles, placarding of vehicles when needed, and control of the sealed sources during transportation (refer to 49 CFR parts 171-173);
(7) The inspection, maintenance, and operability checks of radiographic exposure devices, survey instruments, transport containers, and storage containers;
(8) Steps that must be taken immediately by radiography personnel in the event a pocket dosimeter is found to be off-scale or an alarm ratemeter alarms unexpectedly.
(9) The procedure(s) for identifying and reporting defects and noncompliance, as required by 10 CFR part 21 of this chapter;
(10) The procedure for notifying proper persons in the event of an accident;
(11) Minimizing exposure of persons in the event of an accident;
(12) Source recovery procedure if licensee will perform source recovery;
(13) Maintenance of records.
(b) The licensee shall maintain copies of current operating and emergency procedures in accordance with §§ 34.81 and 34.89.