10 CFR 39.15 - Agreement with well owner or operator.
(a) A licensee may perform well logging with a sealed source only after the licensee has a written agreement with the employing well owner or operator. This written agreement must identify who will meet the following requirements:
(2) A person may not attempt to recover a sealed source in a manner which, in the licensee's opinion, could result in its rupture.
(3) The radiation monitoring required in § 39.69(a) will be performed.
(4) If the environment, any equipment, or personnel are contaminated with licensed material, they must be decontaminated before release from the site or release for unrestricted use; and
(i) Each irretrievable well logging source must be immobilized and sealed in place with a cement plug.
(ii) A means to prevent inadvertent intrusion on the source, unless the source is not accessible to any subsequent drilling operations; and
(iii) A permanent identification plaque, constructed of long lasting material such as stainless steel, brass, bronze, or monel, must be mounted at the surface of the well, unless the mounting of the plaque is not practical. The size of the plaque must be at least 17 cm [7 inches] square and 3 mm [ 1/8-inch] thick. The plaque must contain -
(A) The word “CAUTION”;
(B) The radiation symbol (the color requirement in § 20.1901(a) need not be met);
(C) The date the source was abandoned;
(F) An identification of the sealed source(s) by radionuclide and quantity;
(G) The depth of the source and depth to the top of the plug; and
(H) An appropriate warning, such as, “DO NOT RE-ENTER THIS WELL.”
(c) A licensee may apply, pursuant to § 39.91, for Commission approval, on a case-by-case basis, of proposed procedures to abandon an irretrievable well logging source in a manner not otherwise authorized in paragraph (a)(5) of this section.
(d) A written agreement between the licensee and the well owner or operator is not required if the licensee and the well owner or operator are part of the same corporate structure or otherwise similarly affiliated. However, the licensee shall still otherwise meet the requirements in paragraphs (a)(1) through (a)(5).
- 10 CFR 39.53 — Energy Compensation Source.
- 10 CFR 39.77 — Notification of Incidents and Lost Sources; Abandonment Procedures for Irretrievable Sources.
- 10 CFR 39.55 — Tritium Neutron Generator Target Sources.
- 10 CFR 39.8 — Information Collection Requirements: OMB Approval.
- 10 CFR 150.20 — Recognition of Agreement State Licenses.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 10 CFR Part 39.