10 CFR 40.32 - General requirements for issuance of specific licenses.
An application for a specific license will be approved if:
(a) The application is for a purpose authorized by the Act; and
(b) The applicant is qualified by reason of training and experience to use the source material for the purpose requested in such manner as to protect health and minimize danger to life or property; and
(c) The applicant's proposed equipment, facilities and procedures are adequate to protect health and minimize danger to life or property; and
(d) The issuance of the license will not be inimical to the common defense and security or to the health and safety of the public; and
(e) In the case of an application for a license for a uranium enrichment facility, or for a license to possess and use source and byproduct material for uranium milling, production of uranium hexafluoride, or for the conduct of any other activity which the NRC determines will significantly affect the quality of the environment, the Director, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguardsor his/her designee, before commencement of construction, on the basis of information filed and evaluations made pursuant to subpart A of part 51 of this chapter, has concluded, after weighing the environmental, economic, technical and other benefits against environmental costs and considering available alternatives, that the action called for is the issuance of the proposed license, with any appropriate conditions to protect environmental values. Commencement of construction prior to this conclusion is grounds for denial of a license to possess and use source and byproduct material in the plant or facility. Commencement of construction as defined in § 40.4 may include non-construction activities if the activity has a reasonable nexus to radiological safety and security.
- 10 CFR 39.13 — Specific Licenses for Well Logging.
- 10 CFR 40.34 — Special Requirements for Issuance of Specific Licenses.
- 10 CFR 40.52 — Certain Items Containing Source Material; Requirements for License to Apply or Initially Transfer.
- 10 CFR 40.54 — Requirements for License to Initially Transfer Source Material for Use Under the ‘small Quantities of Source Material’ General License.
- 10 CFR 40.45 — Commission Action on Applications to Renew or Amend.
- 10 CFR 40.13 — Unimportant Quantities of Source Material.