10 CFR 40.51 - Transfer of source or byproduct material.
(a) No licensee shall transfer source or byproduct material except as authorized pursuant to this section.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in his license and subject to the provisions of paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, any licensee may transfer source or byproduct material:
(1) To the Department of Energy;
(3) To any person exempt from the licensing requirements of the Act and regulations in this part, to the extent permitted under such exemption;
(4) To any person in an Agreement State subject to the jurisdiction of that State who has been exempted from the licensing requirements and regulations of that State, to the extent permitted under such exemptions;
(6) To any person abroad pursuant to an export license issued under part 110 of this chapter; or
(7) As otherwise authorized by the commission in writing.
(c) Before transferring source or byproduct material to a specific licensee of the Commission or an Agreement State or to a general licensee who is required to register with the Commission or with an Agreement State prior to receipt of the source or byproduct material, the licensee transferring the material shall verify that the transferee's license authorizes receipt of the type, form, and quantity of source or byproduct material to be transferred.
(d) The following methods for the verification required by paragraph (c) of this section are acceptable:
(1) The transferor may have in his possession, and read, a current copy of the transferee's specific license or registration certificate;
(2) The transferor may have in his possession a written certification by the transferee that he is authorized by license or registration certificate to receive the type, form, and quantity of source or byproduct material to be transferred, specifying the license or registration certification number, issuing agency and expiration date;
(3) For emergency shipments the transferor may accept oral certification by the transferee that he is authorized by license or registration certificate to receive the type, form, and quantity of source or byproduct material to be transferred, specifying the license or registration certificate number, issuing agency and expiration date: Provided, That the oral certification is confirmed in writing within 10 days;
(4) The transferor may obtain other sources of information compiled by a reporting service from official records of the Commission or the licensing agency of an Agreement State as to the identity of licensees and the scope and expiration dates of licenses and registrations; or
(5) When none of the methods of verification described in paragraphs (d)(1) to (4) of this section are readily available or when a transferor desires to verify that information received by one of such methods is correct or up-to-date, the transferor may obtain and record confirmation from the Commission or the licensing agency of an Agreement State that the transferee is licensed to receive the source or byproduct material.
Title 10 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 40 after this date.