10 CFR 451.4 - What is a qualified renewable energy facility.
In order to qualify for an incentive payment under this part, a renewable energy facility must meet the following qualifications -
(a) Owner qualifications. The owner must be -
(1) A State or a political subdivision of a State (or agency, authority, or instrumentality thereof);
(2) A public utility described in section 115 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
(3) A not-for-profit electrical cooperative;
(4) An Indian tribal government or subdivision thereof; or
(5) A Native corporation.
(b) What constitutes ownership. The owner must have all rights to the beneficial use of the renewable energy facility, and legal title must be held by, or for the benefit of, the owner.
(c) Sales affecting interstate commerce. The net electric energy generated by the renewable energy facility must be sold to another entity for consideration.
(d) Type of renewable energy sources. The source of the electric energy for which an incentive payment is sought must be a renewable energy source, as defined in § 451.2.
(e) Time of first use. The date of the first use of a newly constructed renewable energy facility, or a facility covered by paragraph (f) of this section, must occur during the inclusive period beginning October 1, 1993, and ending on September 30, 2016. For facilities whose date of first use occurred in the period October 1, 2003, through September 30, 2004, the time of first use shall be deemed to be October 1, 2004.
(f) Conversion of non-qualified facilities. Existing non-qualified facilities that are converted must meet either of the following criteria -
(1) A facility employing solar, wind ocean, geothermal or biomass sources must be refurbished during the allowed time of first use such that the fair market value of any previously used property does not exceed 20% of the facility's total value.
(2) A facility not employing solar, wind ocean, geothermal or biomass sources must be converted in part or in whole to a qualified facility during the allowed time of first use.
(g) Location. The qualified renewable energy facility must be located in a State or in U.S. jurisdictional waters.