10 CFR 55.41 - Written examination: Operators.
(a)Content. The written examination for an operator will contain a representative selection of questions on the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform licensed operator duties. The knowledge, skills, and abilities will be identified, in part, from learning objectives derived from a systematic analysis of licensed operator duties performed by each facility licensee and contained in its training program and from information in the Final Safety Analysis Report, system description manuals and operating procedures, facility license and license amendments, Licensee Event Reports, and other materials requested from the facility licensee by the Commission.
(1) Fundamentals of reactor theory, including fission process, neutron multiplication, source effects, control rod effects, criticality indications, reactivity coefficients, and poison effects.
(2) General design features of the core, including core structure, fuel elements, control rods, core instrumentation, and coolant flow.
(3) Mechanical components and design features of the reactor primary system.
(4) Secondary coolant and auxiliary systems that affect the facility.
(5) Facility operating characteristics during steady state and transient conditions, including coolant chemistry, causes and effects of temperature, pressure and reactivity changes, effects of load changes, and operating limitations and reasons for these operating characteristics.
(6) Design, components, and functions of reactivity control mechanisms and instrumentation.
(7) Design, components, and functions of control and safety systems, including instrumentation, signals, interlocks, failure modes, and automatic and manual features.
(8) Components, capacity, and functions of emergency systems.
(9) Shielding, isolation, and containment design features, including access limitations.
(10) Administrative, normal, abnormal, and emergency operating procedures for the facility.
(11) Purpose and operation of radiation monitoring systems, including alarms and survey equipment.
(12) Radiological safety principles and procedures.
(13) Procedures and equipment available for handling and disposal of radioactive materials and effluents.
(14) Principles of heat transfer thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 55 after this date.
Title 10 published on 2015-12-04.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 10.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.