10 CFR 609.12 - Project Costs.
(a) Before entering into a Loan Guarantee Agreement, DOE shall determine the estimated Project Costs for the project that is the subject of the agreement. To assist the Department in making that determination, the Applicant must estimate, calculate and record all such costs incurred in the design, engineering, financing, construction, startup, commissioning and shakedown of the project in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices. Among other things, the Applicant must calculate the sum of necessary, reasonable and customary costs that it has paid and expects to pay, which are directly related to the project, including costs for escalation and contingencies, to estimate the total Project Costs.
(b) Project Costs include:
(1) Costs of acquisition, lease, or rental of real property, including engineering fees, surveys, title insurance, recording fees, and legal fees incurred in connection with land acquisition, lease or rental, site improvements, site restoration, access roads, and fencing;
(2) Costs of engineering, architectural, legal and bond fees, and insurance paid in connection with construction of the facility; and materials, labor, services, travel and transportation for facility design, construction, startup, commissioning and shakedown;
(3) Costs of equipment purchases;
(4) Costs to provide equipment, facilities, and services related to safety and environmental protection;
(5) Financial and legal services costs, including other professional services and fees necessary to obtain required licenses and permits and to prepare environmental reports and data;
(7) Costs of necessary and appropriate insurance and bonds of all types;
(8) Costs of design, engineering, startup, commissioning and shakedown;
(9) Costs of obtaining licenses to intellectual property necessary to design, construct, and operate the project;
(10) A reasonable contingency reserve for cost overruns during construction; and
(11) Capitalized interest necessary to meet market requirements, reasonably required reserve funds and other carrying costs during construction; and
(12) Other necessary and reasonable costs.
(c) Project Costs do not include:
(1) Fees and commissions charged to Borrower, including finder's fees, for obtaining Federal or other funds;
(2) Parent corporation or other affiliated entity's general and administrative expenses, and non-project related parent corporation or affiliated entity assessments, including organizational expenses;
(3) Goodwill, franchise, trade, or brand name costs;
(4) Dividends and profit sharing to stockholders, employees, and officers;
(5) Research, development, and demonstration costs of readying the innovative energy or environmental technology for employment in a commercial project;
(6) Costs that are excessive or are not directly required to carry out the project, as determined by DOE, including but not limited to the cost of hedging instruments;
(7) Expenses incurred after startup, commissioning, and shakedown before the facility has been placed in service;
(9) Operating costs.