§ 609.2 Definitions and interpretation.
(a)Definitions. When used in this part the following words have the following meanings.
means Title XVII of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 ( 42
), as amended.
Administrative Cost of Issuing a Loan Guarantee means the total of all administrative expenses that DOE incurs during:
(1) The evaluation of an Application for a loan guarantee;
(2) The negotiation and offer of a Term Sheet;
(3) The negotiation of a Loan Guarantee Agreement and related documents, including the issuance of a Guarantee; and
(4) The servicing and monitoring of a Loan Guarantee Agreement, including during the construction, startup, commissioning, shakedown, and operational phases of an Eligible Project.
Applicant means a Person, including a prospective Borrower or Project Sponsor, that submits an Application to DOE.
means a written submission of materials responsive to a Solicitation that satisfies § 609.4
Application Fee means the fee or fees required to be paid by an Applicant in connection with submission of an Application and specified in a Solicitation. The Application Fee does not include the Credit Subsidy Cost.
Attorney General means the Attorney General of the United States.
Borrower means any Person that enters into a Loan Guarantee Agreement with DOE and issues Guaranteed Obligations.
Cargo Preference Act
means the Cargo Preference Act of 1954, 46 U.S.C. 55305
, as amended.
Commercial Technology means a technology in general use in the commercial marketplace in the United States at the time the Term Sheet is offered by DOE. A technology is in general use if it is being used in three or more facilities that are in commercial operation in the United States for the same general purpose as the proposed project, and has been used in each such facility for a period of at least five years. The five-year period for each facility shall start on the in-service date of the facility employing that particular technology or, in the case of a retrofit of a facility to employ a particular technology, the date the facility resumes commercial operation following completion and testing of the retrofit. For purposes of this section, facilities that are in commercial operation include projects that have been the recipients of a loan guarantee from DOE under this part.
means a Term Sheet offered by DOE and accepted by the offeree of the Term Sheet, all in accordance with § 609.6(c)
; provided, that the Secretary may terminate a Conditional Commitment for any reason at any time prior to the execution of the Loan Guarantee Agreement; and provided, further, that the Secretary may not delegate this authority to terminate a Conditional Commitment.
Contracting Officer means the Secretary of Energy or a DOE official authorized by the Secretary to enter into, administer or terminate DOE Loan Guarantee Agreements and related contracts on behalf of DOE.
Credit Subsidy Cost has the same meaning as “cost of a loan guarantee” in section 502(5)(C) of the Federal Credit Reform Act of 1990, which is the net present value, at the time the Loan Guarantee Agreement is executed, of the following estimated cash flows, discounted to the point of disbursement:
(1) Payments by the Government to cover defaults and delinquencies, interest subsidies, or other payments; less
(2) Payments to the Government including origination and other fees, penalties, and recoveries; including the effects of changes in loan or debt terms resulting from the exercise by the Borrower, Eligible Lender or other Holder of an option included in the Loan Guarantee Agreement.
Davis-Bacon Act means the statute referenced in section 1702(k) of the Act.
DOE means the United States Department of Energy.
Eligible Lender means either:
(1) Any Person formed for the purpose of, or engaged in the business of, lending money that, as determined by DOE in each case, is:
(i) Not debarred or suspended from participation in a Federal government contract or participation in a non-procurement activity (under a set of uniform regulations implemented for numerous agencies, such as DOE, at 2 CFR part 180);
(ii) Not delinquent on any Federal debt or loan;
(iii) Legally authorized and empowered to enter into loan guarantee transactions authorized by the Act and these regulations;
(iv) Able to demonstrate experience in originating and servicing loans for commercial projects similar in size and scope to the Eligible Project, or able to procure such experience through contracts acceptable to DOE; and
(v) Able to demonstrate experience as the lead lender or underwriter by presenting evidence of its participation in large commercial projects or energy-related projects or other relevant experience, or able to procure such experience through contracts acceptable to DOE; or
(2) The Federal Financing Bank.
Eligible Project means a project that:
(1) Is located in the United States at one location, except that the project may be located at two or more locations in the United States if the project is comprised of installations or facilities employing a single New or Significantly Improved Technology that is deployed pursuant to an integrated and comprehensive business plan. An Eligible Project in more than one location is a single Eligible Project;
(2) Deploys a New or Significantly Improved Technology; and
(3) Satisfies all applicable requirements of section 1703 of the Act, the applicable Solicitation, and this part.
Equity means cash contributed to the permanent capital stock (or equivalent) of the Borrower or the Eligible Project by the shareholders or other owners of the Borrower or the Eligible Project. Equity does not include proceeds from the non-guaranteed portion of a Guaranteed Obligation, proceeds from any other non-guaranteed loan or obligation, or the value of any government assistance or support.
Facility Fee means the fee, to be paid in the amount and in the manner provided in the Term Sheet, to cover the Administrative Cost of Issuing a Loan Guarantee for the period from the Borrower's acceptance of the Term Sheet through issuance of the Guarantee.
Federal Financing Bank means an instrumentality of the United States government created by the Federal Financing Bank Act of 1973, under the general supervision of the Secretary of the Treasury.
Guarantee means the undertaking of the United States of America, acting through the Secretary pursuant to Title XVII of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, to pay in accordance with the terms thereof, principal and interest of a Guaranteed Obligation.
Guaranteed Obligation means any loan or other debt obligation of the Borrower for an Eligible Project for which DOE guarantees all or any part of the payment of principal and interest under a Loan Guarantee Agreement entered into pursuant to the Act.
Holder means any Person that holds a promissory note made by the Borrower evidencing the Guaranteed Obligation (or his designee or agent).
Intercreditor Agreement means any agreement or instrument (or amendment or modification thereof) among DOE and one or more other Persons providing financing or other credit arrangements to the Borrower or an Eligible Project) or that otherwise provides for rights of DOE in respect of a Borrower or in respect of an Eligible Project, in each case in form and substance satisfactory to DOE.
Loan Agreement means a written agreement between a Borrower and an Eligible Lender containing the terms and conditions under which the Eligible Lender will make a loan or loans to the Borrower for an Eligible Project.
Loan Guarantee Agreement means a written agreement that, when entered into by DOE and a Borrower, and, if applicable, an Eligible Lender, establishes the obligation of DOE to guarantee the payment of all or a portion of the principal of, and interest on, specified Guaranteed Obligations, subject to the terms and conditions specified in the Loan Guarantee Agreement.
New or Significantly Improved Technology means a technology, or a defined suite of technologies, concerned with the production, consumption, or transportation of energy and that is not a Commercial Technology, and that has either:
(1) Only recently been developed, discovered, or learned; or
(2) Involves or constitutes one or more meaningful and important improvements in productivity or value, in comparison to Commercial Technologies in use in the United States at the time the Term Sheet is issued.
OMB means the Office of Management and Budget in the Executive Office of the President.
Person means any natural person or any legally constituted entity, including a state or local government, tribe, corporation, company, voluntary association, partnership, limited liability company, joint venture, and trust.
mean those costs, including escalation and contingencies, that are to be expended or accrued by a Borrower and are necessary, reasonable, customary and directly related to the design, engineering, financing, construction, startup, commissioning and shakedown of an Eligible Project, as specified in § 609.10(a)
. Project Costs do not include costs for the items set forth in § 609.10(b)
Project Sponsor means any Person that assumes substantial responsibility for the development, financing, and structuring of an Eligible Project and, if not the Applicant, owns or controls, by itself and/or through individuals in common or affiliated business entities, a five percent or greater interest in the proposed Eligible Project, the Borrower or the Applicant.
Risk-Based Charge means a charge that, together with the principal and interest on the guaranteed loan, or at such other times as DOE may determine, is payable on specified dates during the term of a Guaranteed Obligation.
Secretary means the Secretary of Energy or a duly authorized designee or successor in interest.
means an announcement that DOE is accepting Applications that is widely disseminated to the public on the DOE Web site or otherwise, and which satisfies the requirements of § 609.3(b)
Term Sheet means a written offer for the issuance of a loan guarantee, executed by the Secretary (or a DOE official authorized by the Secretary to execute such offer), delivered to the offeree, that sets forth the detailed terms and conditions under which DOE and the Applicant will execute a Loan Guarantee Agreement.
United States means the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and any territory or possession of the United States of America.
(b) Interpretations. This part shall be interpreted using the following guidelines.
(1) The word “discretion” when used with reference to DOE, including the Secretary, means “sole discretion.”
(2) Defined terms in the singular shall include the plural and vice versa, and the masculine, feminine or neuter gender shall include all genders.
(3) The word “or” is not exclusive.
(4) References to laws by name or popular name are references to the version of such law appearing in the United States Code and include any amendment, supplement or modification of such law, and all regulations, rulings, and other laws promulgated thereunder.
(5) References to information or documents required or allowed to be submitted to DOE mean information or documents that are marked as provided in 10 CFR 600.15(b). A document or information that is not marked as provided in 10 CFR 600.15(b) will not be considered as having been submitted to or received by DOE.
(6) A reference to a Person includes such Person's successors and permitted assigns.
(7) The words “include,” “includes” and “including” are not limiting and mean include, includes and including “without limitation” and “without limitation by specification.”
(8) The words “hereof,” “herein” and “hereunder” and words of similar import refer this part as a whole and not to any particular provision of this part.