10 CFR 62.13 - Contents of a request for emergency access: Alternatives.
(a) A request for emergency access under this part must include information on alternatives to emergency access. The request shall include a discussion of the consideration given to any alternatives, including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Storage of low-level radioactive waste at the site of generation;
(6) Reducing the volume of the waste;
(7) Ceasing activities that generate low-level radioactive waste; and
(8) Other alternatives identified under paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) The request must identify all of the alternatives to emergency access considered, including any that would require State or Compact action, or any others that are not specified in paragraph (a) of this section. The request should also include a description of the process used to identify the alternatives, a description of the factors that were considered in identifying and evaluating them, a chronology of actions taken to identify and implement alternatives during the process, and a discussion of any actions that were considered, but not implemented.
(c) The evaluation of each alternative must consider:
(1) Its potential for mitigating the serious and immediate threat to public health and safety or the common defense and security posed by lack of access to disposal;
(2) The adverse effects on public health and safety and the common defense and security, if any, of implementing each alternative, including the curtailment or cessation of any essential services affecting the public health and safety or the common defense and security;
(3) The technical and economic feasibility of each alternative including the person's financial capability to implement the alternatives;
(4) Any other pertinent societal costs and benefits;
(5) Impacts to the environment;
(7) The time required to develop and implement each alternative.
(d) The request must include the basis for:
(1) Rejecting each alternative; and
(2) Concluding that no alternative is available.
Title 10 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 10 CFR Part 62 after this date.