10 CFR 71.5 - Transportation of licensed material.
(a) Each licensee who transports licensed material outside the site of usage, as specified in the NRC license, or where transport is on public highways, or who delivers licensed material to a carrier for transport, shall comply with the applicable requirements of the DOT regulations in 49 CFR parts 107, 171 through 180, and 390 through 397, appropriate to the mode of transport.
(1) The licensee shall particularly note DOT regulations in the following areas:
(ii) Marking and labeling - 49 CFR part 172: subpart D; and §§ 172.400 through 172.407 and §§ 172.436 through 172.441 of subpart E.
(iii) Placarding - 49 CFR part 172: subpart F, especially §§ 172.500 through 172.519 and 172.556; and appendices B and C.
(iv) Accident reporting - 49 CFR part 171: §§ 171.15 and 171.16.
(v) Shipping papers and emergency information - 49 CFR part 172: subparts C and G.
(vi) Hazardous material employee training - 49 CFR part 172: subpart H.
(vii) Security plans - 49 CFR part 172: subpart I.
(viii) Hazardous material shipper/carrier registration - 49 CFR part 107: subpart G.
(2) The licensee shall also note DOT regulations pertaining to the following modes of transportation:
(i) Rail - 49 CFR part 174: subparts A through D and K.
(ii) Air - 49 CFR part 175.
(iii) Vessel - 49 CFR part 176: subparts A through F and M.
(iv) Public Highway - 49 CFR part 177 and parts 390 through 397.
(b) If DOT regulations are not applicable to a shipment of licensed material, the licensee shall conform to the standards and requirements of the DOT specified in paragraph (a) of this section to the same extent as if the shipment or transportation were subject to DOT regulations. A request for modification, waiver, or exemption from those requirements, and any notification referred to in those requirements, must be filed with, or made to, the Director, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
- 10 CFR 39.75 — Documents and Records Required at Temporary Jobsites.
- 10 CFR 34.89 — Location of Documents and Records.
- 10 CFR 71.6 — Information Collection Requirements: OMB Approval.
- 10 CFR 71.88 — Air Transport of Plutonium.
- 10 CFR 71.13 — Exemption of Physicians.
- 10 CFR 71.14 — Exemption for Low-Level Materials.
- 10 CFR 73.37 — Requirements for Physical Protection of Irradiated Reactor Fuel in Transit.